Sign in to follow this  
85racer

Fuel tank venting for E85

I need some input or help here. Recently in my dads race truck, my brother installed a fuel cell. A valve was installed at the vent when not at the track it is closed to not allow moisture to enter the tank for E85 use. The problem is the tank built up pressure setting in the hot steel building and the fuel had to go somewhere and must have pushed through the elect pump, regulator and needle and seat in the carb, leaked by the rings and ended up in the oil. We figure about a gallon or two of fuel ended up in the oil, most of which evaporated. None the less we ended up with diluted oil and a extra quart or two or three in the crankcase.

Has anyone else encountered this scenario when storing fuel in a non vented fuel system? The system has to vent if it will build that much pressure yet not allow moisture to enter to the E85.

Ive had E85 sitting in 5 gallon fuel cans over the winter and for months in the summer. Still havent had a problem with it absorbing water and separating. The GTO has had E85 in it since 07 and the fuel still runs great. Im not worried about water in it at all.

Sounds like ya need two valves...one on the vent and one on the supply line.  Alternately, if moisture is that great of a concern, you could put an inline desiccator...like something from a paint spray / air line.  Ideally, one with color change desiccant so you know when to regenerate it.

Though alternately, sealing the tank, but with a carb full of fuel would be questionable  as to how much moisture is kept out, but I don't know that it would be much better than continually filling and drying out the carb with associated o rings and seals.

Ive had E85 sitting in 5 gallon fuel cans over the winter and for months in the summer. Still havent had a problem with it absorbing water and separating. The GTO has had E85 in it since 07 and the fuel still runs great. Im not worried about water in it at all.

Thumpin.....You know how the summers are in Nebraska. Are you saying I should not worry about it? The truck gets out one a month during race season. It usually goes through 2-3 gallons on the typical race event, depending on car count and how many rounds it goes.

Yeah I remember Nebraska weather real well. Its been humid up here, lots of rain and right now is hovering about 80%. Even if it does soak up some water, it wont hurt anything other than possibly cause phase separation which takes more than it will probably pull out of the air. Any water it soaks up will bond with the ethanol and just get burned with the fuel. You can drain it if you are worried, but after years of it sitting around in my shop and car its still viable fuel.