Sign in to follow this  
joe

well now anybody doing a convertion on a 08 HONDA FIT

I'm a newbie hello everbody, I've been reading the book called alcohol can be a gas. anybody read this one?  Anyway this is a gas station on state or ridge road in parma, Ohio. That sells e85, its about 40cents cheaper then regular gas, I've been thinking that when I pay off the fit which is at the end of the year. After the party I was thinking of converting it so it can also run on e85.  we got anyone doing this to a car like this. I must say my fit is as slow as a old 69 beetle, but it works. But I also don't like sending 700 to 800 billion to the oil companies anymore. I would like that money to stay in our communities where it belongs anyway. anybody got a mechanic in the Cleveland area that does the convertion, even though from what I've been reading I might be able to pull it off myself. ;D ;D

Convert it yourself. I'm sure Johnny will pop in here soon.  ;D

With a 40 cent spread, you're not going to make money with e85, but you probably could with e30, which doesn't require a conversion. Also, if you have to pay for a conversion AND pay someone to do it, it's going to take even longer for a payback.

My conversion takes 3 minutes to remove and 5 to install. I've seen movies of 10 y.o. kids installing them. Trust me, unless you have an engine that requires a manifold removal, you can do it yourself.

For starters, if you don't have a blender pump at your station, I'd try splash blending:

1 part e85 and 2 parts of e10 will get you e35

1 part e85 and 3 parts of e10 will get you e29

Find out what your tank size is and go here: http://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html

Then you can slowly increase the amount of e85 to figure out where your max is. For many vehicles, that's often between e40 and e80. My Toyota loved e60 and maxed out at e81. My Ford threw a CEL at e45.

If you get a CEL (check engine light), just add some more e10 (or e0). It helps if you have a way to reset it too. Many auto parts stores have a tool to reset a CEL. Many of us use a Scangauge to track our miles and clear it, o/w Harbor Tools may have a cheap tool that also does that.

Some of the guys here an ultragauge, which is cheaper and has a bigger and nicer display than the scangauge.

First off, that's a very good book.  I'd suggest reading it cover to cover at least twice.  There may be a lot of information you don't need, but it's good to know anyway.

I would recommend the Jonny Energy kit.  As TD said, it's simple to install unless there's a lot of junk, or a manifold, in the way.  If you can see and get at the injectors and the plug that goes to them, you're good to go.

Like you, I did my conversion mainly for the increased torque and horsepower.  As I'm sure all the regulars here are tired of hearing by now, my old vehicle, an '87 Ford Bronco 2, just didn't have enough torque on gas.  On E85, it's night and day.  I don't have to shift as often.  I don't have to downshift on hills.  I can shift at a lower rpm and still keep up with traffic.  I'm sure you'll see the benefits as well.

Keep in mind that you'll want to change out the fuel filter after about 1000 miles on E85, maybe less.  This is because the E85 can loosen the gunk that's been collecting in your tank since it was new, and your fuel filter will catch it.  Yours being an '08 there might not be that much gunk, but be safe and change it anyway.

You might not need to change your filter if you've run E10 on it for the life of your vehicle, but keep that in mind if it becomes sluggish or has issues after some time. I've never had to change mine.

Welcome to the forum.  We’ve had a few members on here who have modded – or at least ask for info on modding - various Honda cars.  Typically the best way to go there is to head to Hondata and get one of their engine management systems.  They are more expensive than the black-box converters, but typically allow control over a wide range of engine parameters.

With that being said, Hondata doesn’t offer a product for the Fit. So the best bet is to go with one of the add-on converters.  As others have said, there is at least one rep on the forum and he'd be the ideal person to help answer questions about that.

As far as the Fit itself - it should be a fine candidate.  I've not had any issues with E85 in my 02 Acura.  Not counting the accelerated tire wear :) when I ran the stock fuel system, it held up fine.  Hopefully, they haven't gone backward since then. 

Hopefully 08-12 is not enough time to build up too much fuel system gunk.  The fuel filter is located in the tank...while it's not a simple 'pop a new one one' affair, it's not too hard to get to.

Let us know how it turns out!

First off, thanks for the quick replies, I am just beginning my research of this product, I'm not in the postion to buy a unit just yet. Reg. gas in solon ohio is 3.27 if memory serves me, which most of the time it doesnt, all I rember thinking was holy shit. Just that thought is such a shame when ya think about it.

I would love to know what that sunoco station is asking for a gallon right now of E85. I was wondering though if I go with a converter, and change out the fuel filter at say 500 miles. do any of you think the car will have a little more torque. I love my fit, but man I'm getting tired of this no power. The car isnt made for speed by any stretch of the imagination. And it isnt the reason I bought it, Its a honda - most of the parts r made by them, and the interior rocks, Its like a super mini pick-up truck with a cap. Is there a phone number I can call and talk this over with a tech, I did ask a Head Mechanic at my honda dealership he was mostly thumbs down.

I would love to educate him, b/c from what I'm reading from the book alcohol can be a gas, there is a ton of miss information.

I have another ? about the winter usage of this fuel, is anyone keeping the fuel tank warm in the winter time, I have heard of blankets. If I stored my car indoors would that help with starting it in the morning? I'm a bit concerned about this, even though the dealership replace the junk battery that was sold with the car, Its still  has its moments, of course leaving a overhead  light on doesnt help. ;D ;D

You might not need to change your filter if you've run E10 on it for the life of your vehicle, but keep that in mind if it becomes sluggish or has issues after some time. I've never had to change mine.

Exactly.

I tried to ask a couple of the Fitfreaks about E85 in their cars but after debating whether it would even run on E85 we ended up arguing about whether Ethanol would even combust at lower compression ratios. ??? That was in the E85 thread so it was a waste of time.

...we ended up arguing about whether Ethanol would even combust at lower compression ratios. ...

Wow - that is even an argument?  I would have placed some bets, poured a shot of vodka on the table, lit it, proven that ethanol will burn even down to 'zero' compression ratio and walked away with the cash. :)

As far as 'pepping up' the Fit with ethanol, assuming you make no other mods, you may expect a few percent gain in tq/hp.  Though considering the Fit is around 105 tq/110hp, you definitely won't turn it into a corvette with a little E85.

On the cold starting side, you've got ~10.4:1CR which is going to help quite a bit.  I was originally at 10.1:1 and was able to start down to ~-10F though anything below ~+10F did result in some stumbling and a few stalls until warm...though those temps only plagued me for a few weeks a year.  If you expect longer / colder temps, some type of warming may be in order.

I did put on a pipe and header muffler, Ya c I wanted to scare the dear from crossing the road when I came down it.  BTW they havent crossed me yet. Your also reading a post from a guy who put a Mac Header on a 83 650 for the same excuse. Lots of dear in the valley dont ja know. I read your post from another topic, you said you put a turbo on your and now your spinning the rubber off the front tires. I wasnt looking for that, just alittle help. do you think the car will run quiter, I would have to take out the baffle, lol, Its those dear, I dont want one playing tag with the front end of the car and killing me.

so I'm thinking of putting the converter on in the spring and summer  fall months. Maybe not the winter which seems like 6months out of the year now. What do you think, I wouldnt run it in the winter cause of the battery situation.