Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

2013 Chevy Volt will NOT be a FFV

I was reading yesterday that the Volt is NOT going to run on E85.

The more I think about guess I am not surprised ..considering that any fuel in the tank could literally go unused for months at a time.

Some of these people are driving the Volt  thousands of miles on 1 tank of gas.. I could see where phase separation could be a major issue?

If I owned the Volt I would almost always be in electric made as I rarely travel more than 40 miles driving around town...so while I think the extended range vehicles like the Volt make the most sense (compared to pure electric with limited range) ..not sure how high blend ethanol can play a part in that if the fuel is just going to sit in the tank for extended periods of time..

I don't think that any fuel storage concerns are the reason.  Modern fuel systems are sealed up pretty tightly.  I'd be more concerned about E10 separating than E85, as it takes a lot less water to make E10 separate than E85.

I've also seen gasoline go bad a lot sooner than E85, when just sitting outside in a container.  The gas will turn into a stinky yellow fluid that won't even fire in a motor, and has to be drained from the tank, while the E85 is just fine.

I think the reason for the non-FFV status comes down to EPA regulation, quite honestly.  It's the same as anything else; they would have to put a fuel composition sensor in it if they change the calibration enough to need to re-certify.  That costs money so they don't want to do it.

I think the reason for the non-FFV status comes down to EPA regulation, quite honestly.  It's the same as anything else; they would have to put a fuel composition sensor in it if they change the calibration enough to need to re-certify.  That costs money so they don't want to do it.

+1

I always wonder how fast whiskey in a sealed bottle goes bad when people talk about ethanol fuel going out of condition. I'd lay money it is the gasoline part that goes in the dumper. I still think the oil companies are winning when you see Toyota putting no E15 in their brand new RAV.

I agree with Rusty. As far as emissions isn't CARB regulations effectively eliminating all new FFVs from California and the 13 or so states that follow Cali emissions? It seems like none of the new FFVs are Cali legal, for example the new Focus FFV was only approved for Federal emissions while there is still a separate Cali engine.

When CARB is run almost completely by oil and coal people, what do you expect? They will make rules and laws to prevent FFVs from being legal in their fiefdom.

Actually Thumpin CARB has been handing out money left and right to ethanol including 10 million just last week to Propel fuel stations add another 100 E85 Stations..seems that something within their ranks changed this past year..

Back to E85 sitting in a tank for months on end.. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable doing that ..same with gasoline .    which kind of sucks because I personally feel the extended range vehicles that run not necessarily the Volt but that technology makes the most sense ....zip around town on electric and 40-50-60 miles then use on aboard generator/ engine running on E85 for extended trips .

Just wondering/wary about fuel going bad for sitting so long..

[

Sorry I don't know all the details about the Volt's electric hybrid system but I need to ask:  "During colder weather, will the vehicle force the ICE to fire up earlier (prior to reaching the end of electric range) due to extra load being placed on the vehicle via the heater/lights/wipers/radio?  Heavy use of the air conditioning unit and other stuff might do the same in the summer months.  We know this type of operation will shorten the electric range of the vehicle but...thermal control of the battery under these conditions might just force an earlier than expected start up of the ICE even if it is only for a short time frame. 

Back to E85 sitting in a tank for months on end.. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable doing that ..same with gasoline .    which kind of sucks because I personally feel the extended range vehicles that run not necessarily the Volt but that technology makes the most sense ....zip around town on electric and 40-50-60 miles then use on aboard generator/ engine running on E85 for extended trips .

Oh I hear you on the electric gas combo.  It is a good idea.  I'd like to be able to plug in, do the majority of my driving, which consists of going to town and back, on electricity.  I'd save a lot of money.

On the fuel storage front, I have seen it happen.  I have seen gasoline, in a lawn mower gas tank, go bad over a period of a couple months.  I have seen it go bad over winter.  I have seen it evaporate out of a carburetor and leave gunk behind that plugs up the main jet, requiring service.  I have had none of these problems with E85, even in the same equipment, that I converted, that had problems on gas.  I'm sure if you left the E85 sitting long enough it would evaporate away, and the 15% gas might cause problems.  But from what I've seen that would take a very long time.

Now automotive fuel systems are very well sealed (a lot better than any lawn mower) but in terms of actual fuel quality and potential to cause problems, the fuels remain the same.