Sign in to follow this  
GT-Labs

The "H" word...

Hemp.

Hemp. Hemp. Hemp. Hemp...

Hemp.

There. I said it. It's such a taboo word for conservatives it's hilarious. Beyond political divisions, lay opportunities for those seeking them out. What opportunities would hemp lend to biomass ethanol? I say biomass because it would simply be offering another raw material that can grow profusely. Hemp doesn't have to be legal here for it to be a potentially viable fuel source somewhere else. I'm not saying "grow hemp everywhere!" like some hippies who just want their own easily accessable stash. I simply think hemp could possible have a higher yield of ethanol than even switchgrass. The War on Drugs (hey, we gotta have a war with something to look busy!) is holding back this aspect of the ethanol industry.

Just because hemp is illegal in the US doesn't mean another country can't try it. Spare me the recycled drug addicts arguments, too. It's another reason to spout the saaaaaame poorly informed, isolationist, imperical crap. Get over it and think of something new.

Hemp is still growing wild in the fence rows around here from WW2 when it was used to make rope. It can grow pretty big and rank if left unchecked. Remember back in the 80's when artichokes were going to be cultivated in Minnesota for ethanol(they're a perennial) but the guys starting the company were killed in a plane crash?

Marty