Sign in to follow this  
HuskerFlex

custom e85 tunes for FFVs?

there lots of scanguage/flash tools out on the market (SCT and others)...

Sorry, I understand the ideas and the principles, but not the specifics.  If I wanted to flash my car with a new custom e85 tune that was developed by a tuner... would I need to purchase one of these $300-$400+ tools, then purchase the custom tune... or is this something that I could borrow the tool from a person/shop that owns one to use to load the tune to my vehicle? 

I've been reading on the web about quite a few folks that have been able to improve on stock detroit programing for FFVs more fully optimizing for the many qualities of e85...

Is this something that a non-tuner could do?

I haven't done it myself but I know where to start. First you find a local tuner for your car, you can checkout car forums if you can't find a reputable tuner in your area. If you take it to a local shop they tune it on a dynamometer. They give you 3 tunes onto the actual tuning device which plugs into your car so that you can pick one and load it up. You can get tunes for octane like regular or premium or E85 tunes. Sometimes they have tunes for power, safe tunes(custom setups), or torque tunes which are also known as fuel economy tunes.

You can also get a tune from a tuning guru from a distance. For example Focaljet has a guy that can send you a good basic tune, he provides tunes that can work in different areas with different setups but only for the Focus engine. You need to make sure they have tuned on E85 before but local guys that can get readings from the car are still better than "mail order" tunes because they can customize it to your engine.

Husker, get in touch with Dieselgeek, he is a tuner and is well versed in E85 tuning. He mainly does it for max power, but a while back he was interested in trying some max mileage tuning. He is in the Nebraska/Iowa area.

This is a link to his profile on the forum where I know him.

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/member.php/610-dieselgeek

You'd have to do a LOT of driving for that to pay off.  ;D

BTW, this was the premise behind the EToM conversion, where you could dial in a little leaner with a control under the dash.

I know this is an old topic, but I spent my entire day researching Ford tuning. HPTuners provides support for up to

the 2011 Escape and from 2007-12 for the Fusion. Have you had any luck getting the vehicle tuned? I've got HPTuners but am located in Colorado. Would love to help out since I've been doing this with GM vehicles for 5 years now...