Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

Indy 500 using E85 this year

"Organizers of the famous Indy Car races, including Memorial Day’s Indianapolis 500, have shifted from pure ethanol to E85 for the 2012 season, in large part because the fuel is commercially available and thus can be embraced by racing enthusiasts for their own flex-fuel vehicles."

http://showtimesdaily.com/fleetsfuels/indy-2012-opts-for-more-mainstream-fuel-e85

Wasnt part of the reason because running E100 they couldn't see the flames during wrecks.. switching to E85 ..that 15% gasoline will smoke and flame more visible during wrecks

Anyway ..pretty cool to Indy running E85 .  E85 should get a lot of extra press this weekend

Wasnt part of the reason because running E100 they couldn't see the flames during wrecks.. switching to E85 ..that 15% gasoline will smoke and flame more visible during wrecks

Anyway ..pretty cool to Indy running E85 .  E85 should get a lot of extra press this weekend

Having just watched a video of a Methanol fire for a formula car the other day I say very likely. In the video I watched the driver and one of the crew members were on fire at some point and they had to physically beg people to be sprayed with the flame retarding mix to put the fire out since it was completely invisible.

BJoe- dont feel like the "lone stranger" ;D  I watched all the pre-race and race - there was maybe one comment about it the whole time (how the fuel allowance was decreased slightly) - and I was really listening for it.

Allchar - I did a little fire safety training for a fire department- they like to observe the police as they approach a scene- if the trooper is down or running they suspect an alcohol fire. If the see yellow flames/choking black smoke she's gas, and if he's standing still- it is safe to go in. ;D