Sign in to follow this  
Clay

Using steel fuel tank w/ E85: what to do?

Im starting to gather the parts for an E85 conversion on my (dont laugh) 1986 Dodge Omni GLH-T (Turbo).

One of the big downfalls Im facing with this car is the steel gas tank. I know there can be issues with galvanic corrosion with steel tanks and lines, and I really dont want to convert to a fuel cell.

Is there a way the steel tank can be used? OR any other options to keep a tank in the same location to operate as a stock tank (ie same fill point, intake fuel level sending unit and pump, etc??)

Thanks!!

Clay

1outlaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Hotrod- too much is made of the corrosion issue. Mild steel is fine and is used in all commercial ethanol operations after the point alcohol is dehydrated, same for oil company blend terminals. Aluminum is avoided if possible (unless annodized) yet all the trucks carrying it are aluminum and they are not affected- the main concern with aluminum would be that if the fuel became hydrated and the aluminum was slightly dissolved- fuel injectors could be affected (not likely to happen due to dry fuel and short dwell times).

Single wall fiberglass tank are avoided due to a warranty issue with Owens Corning 12 years ago who was not sure how resins would be affected.

Seals are important- but most seals that work for gasoline and diesel are acceptable for ethanol especially if you do not convert back to fossil fuels.