Sign in to follow this  
Billyk

Ethanol blamed for transmission and radiator failures!

If the vehicle wasn't reaching operating temperature is exactly my point. If the thermostat was stuck open it wouldn't reach 180 degrees! But how would fuel in the Oil even get close to the radiator or the oil cooler unless the headgaskets were leaking? ???

Wow- so that is why my son's S10 FFV had to have the combined transmission cooler/radiator replaced, then the transmission, then a transmission shift selenoid, and 2 tires. Learn something every day ;D

Ethanol eats tires. ;)

Don't laugh, ethanol can get into the oil and it does attract water which can make it separate and become highly corrosive. I'm not saying I believe 100% what they say(the closing comment was that we should eat the corn/feed it to livestock and not burn it ::)) but if fuel was getting into the oil that could cause a problem. I'm thinking maybe a stuck open thermostat and a worn piston rings. I dunno how long that would take to destroy the oil cooler, I doubt it could harm the radiator since anti-freeze uses a corrosion inhibitor.

Obviously the article was designed to be controversial. But that doesn't mean it's completely untrue and should therefore be ignored. People will read and believe this without question and the points they made needs to be addressed. :-\

Well that is a problem if the oil never gets over 173F, which is a problem with the thermostat. With too cold engine temperatures condensation builds up in gasoline engines and makes a milkshake in the crankcase. You can see it easily in cars that are driven short distances where they are not allowed to warm up enough to boil the water out. Really it can happen with any fuel, not just ethanol. Most people wont know that, even some mechanics are unaware, and getting an engine warm enough is paramount to efficiency and longevity.

A big part of the ignorance with ethanol is simple ignorance about how cars work. Claiming the transmission is screwed up by ethanol is pretty damn stupid, unless of course the trans is weak and the added power from a better fuel finishes it off. No part of the fuel system goes anywhere near the radiator, but most people have no idea how their car works, so they just take Faux News word for it.

Faux News is not news, it is entertainment so they can say whatever they wish. Its all opinion, not fact. They should call it the fact free zone, or no fact zone.

Bad part is...a lot of folks actually believe that my diaper is full!

;D  ... a couple years ago I added a "bad words list"    so when people start saying shaaaaat" that word is replaced with another word or sentence ..forgot all about it... ..

We're all adults here (or at least old enough to drive). I would think you could ditch that. All the forums where I hang out allow the f-word. If someone here abuses the privilege you get to spank 'em.  ;D