Sign in to follow this  
Billyk

Ethanol blamed for transmission and radiator failures!

What a joke!  Terrible logic and journalism.  This link:  http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/16/ethanol-concerns-bring-customers-to-more-costly-pure-gas-stations/

She started using "pure gas" five weeks ago, after paying $12,000 for repairs on her 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. 

"I had to change two radiators and two transmissions," said Cannon, who blames the damage on ethanol.

Ethanol attracts water, and that can result in corrosion in the system," said Rayola Dougher from the American Petroleum Institute. 

The study, sponsored by the oil industry group and automakers, tested eight engines found in millions of cars currently on U.S. roads. The study found two of the eight malfunctioned and suffered significant damage while fueled by E-15.

Probably dumb enough she put E85 in the radiator and transmission dipstick hole, so maybe the story is true. :)

"I get 20.1 miles to the gallon, in-town driving. I used to get 13," 

If that is true, it's more evidence there was something substantially wrong with the engine...even way beyond a few % ethanol in the fuel.  Even if you believe the article, ethanol could be responsible for a 10% difference, 13/20 is more like 35%...maybe a blown head gasket causing the radiator to loose water and overheat the engine/transmission??  (Though I would also note the EPA ratings for '05 Pathfinder are 14/21, so even 13 is not too far from what it's rated)

The fact that it happened twice is more evidence someone in the chain is really not getting to the root of the problem...antifreeze blowing through the combustion chamber and plugging up the catalytic converter causing further damage?  or gunking up the O2 sensor causing a lean burn?

Mechanic/dealer who charged 12K for those repairs should be drug out into the street and shot.  But I guess 'ol PT was right...she is sure getting taken to the cleaner by the mechanic and the 'real gas' gas station.  I guess that goes back to Tusser.

Bad part is...a lot of folks actually believe that my diaper is full!

;D  ... a couple years ago I added a "bad words list"    so when people start saying shaaaaat" that word is replaced with another word or sentence ..forgot all about it... ..

Oh my....

Well, I tried to get some good comments but the ingorance never ceases to amaze me...after all this time I still can't believe how clueless some CHOOSE to be. The comments there are like gasbuddy on steroids.

The ethanol in the fuel probably caused the windshield to crack as well... rear view mirror to fall off, and caused the accelerator to stick, which caused the vehicle to drive through the front door of a strip mall store...

I could just see it.

The moronic ignorance that runs rampant through our society is staggering.

Oh my....

Well, I tried to get some good comments but the ingorance never ceases to amaze me...after all this time I still can't believe how clueless some CHOOSE to be. The comments there are like Ga* Budd* on steroids.

I went back and edited it again...sounded too weird.  ???

lol

Don't laugh, ethanol can get into the oil and it does attract water which can make it separate and become highly corrosive. I'm not saying I believe 100% what they say(the closing comment was that we should eat the corn/feed it to livestock and not burn it ::)) but if fuel was getting into the oil that could cause a problem. I'm thinking maybe a stuck open thermostat and a worn piston rings. I dunno how long that would take to destroy the oil cooler, I doubt it could harm the radiator since anti-freeze uses a corrosion inhibitor.

Obviously the article was designed to be controversial. But that doesn't mean it's completely untrue and should therefore be ignored. People will read and believe this without question and the points they made needs to be addressed. :-\

From the original Faux News article:

"2005 Nissan Pathfinder."

"I had to change two radiators and two transmissions," said Cannon, who blames the damage on ethanol."

If you're getting fuel into the radiator, or the transmission, you've got *huge* problems with your vehicle anyway.

How would fuel get into the radiator?  One, stupid customer put it there.  Nobody is that stupid.  Two, head gasket.

Transmission?  Even harder to get it there.  Unless the massive power increase from the ethanol made the transmission break, in which case the design was marginal to begin with.

Engine oil could conceivably have problems, but so long as the oil temperature is above 180F or so, any ethanol will be boiled out, and any water will go shortly thereafter.  Short trips could be a problem, but it would be just as much of a problem on gas.

All in all, remind me not to buy Datsun Nissan.  ;D

The sad part is that there are stupid enough people in this world to actually believe what is said in that article.