Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

2012 Buick Verano FFV has No Flex Fuel Badge

So while I was out at the Dealerships looking for the Un-badged 2012 Malibu .. I also came across the 2012 Buick Regal UN BADGED ! NO FlexFuel Badge on the Rear.

While it certainly has been intriguing.. I wonder if the reasoning is simply Money.. not sure what it cost them for the Badges and to have them installed .. maybe $15? each ?  So very every Million cars that they simply dont add the Badge saves them $150 Million ..

Anyway just a heads up when your are Shopping for a New Flex Fuel Vehicle ....dont by pass vehicles simply because you don't see a Flex Fuel Badge on the rear..check the sticker and for GM look for the yellow Gas Cap

post-1-138947094748_thumb.jpg

post-1-13894709475_thumb.jpg

post-1-13894709502_thumb.jpg

I've heard that people consider the badges ugly, maybe why all the redesigns? If they eliminate it and use a yellow gas cap that would probably suit more people. Ford eliminated the gas cap but they still have yellow around the filler cap, I think.

The other question is which gas CAN to use for E85? Yellow is diesel. right? :D

3 factors, all contributing to what appears to NOT be simple over site...

1.  $15/FFV...  x $1million FFV= $15 million to add to their bottom line, or in GM's case, subtract from what they are loosing ;) (just kidding Government Motors fans!)

2.  Giving into pressures from dirty imported non-renewable fuel fans who have complained about them being ugly and not wanting to drive around advertising a fuel they don't believe in (never mind the fact that they are easily removed, and worth a few bucks on eBay for people who bought a kit from Jonnyenergy! :D

3.  Trying to quietly and discreetly make their way towards the back door of a party that they dind't want to be in any longer, with out the hosts or the guests noticing that they are leaving....  quietly drop the badges, gradually stop making FFVs on one model after another... then with little fanfare, eventually drop the whole thing and abandon clean, domestic, renewable alternative fuels altogether...

#3 is my conspiracy theory for the day... :'(

#3 is hogwash, they are still adding FFVs they are just reducing the highly visible badging. So long as it still says E85 compatible it'll be fine. I don't want to say take your tinfoil hats off, but please take your tinfoil hat off. 8)

If you want a "conspiracy" look at the dependence on a single crop for a fuel that can be made from anything with sugar in it but is made from the more difficult starch.

Or look at the CAFE/gov't regs to see why most of the FFVs are domestic brand "fleet vehicles" or trucks and not the more popular import cars like Camrys, Accords, and Civics?

The one thing I noticed about the Focus is 45% of new sales are to fleets. >:( I think this is not a coincidence.

not wearing a tin foil hat, yet... just thinking about building one....

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/build.html

Have to agree with your other points.

I'd like to know real world numbers of how many/what percent of vehicles rolling off assembly lines from the big 3 for sale in the US market were FFV... and to see a historical chart for this over the past 10+ years...

What is the actual trend towards increasing the number of FFVs in the national vehicle fleet?  For e85 to be a real world alternative fuel source, we need to see this number going way up...  any plateaus or retreats will see the # of e85 stations slow down, flat-line or fall off...

As for GMs apparent policy of not displaying the FFV badge...

I don't like it.  It makes the fact that the vehicle is FFV much less obvious.  Makes it harder for folks like us to chat it up with folks at gas stations who are "at the wrong pump"...

What the badge disappearing is a symptom of is public hatred of lack of interest in ethanol.  Why do they hate have a lack of interest in ethanol?  Maybe 100 years of oil industry propaganda has something to do with it.

That's not a conspiracy theory, that's a fact.  It started with John D. Rockefeller, and it continues to this day.

If we are ever to have our widespread blender pumps, FFV's, E100, optimized engines, and yes, FFV badges on the back of Buick's, then we need to address public opinion and oil industry propaganda first.

with a 100+ year head start, VERY deep pockets and a very ignorant/gullible public.... we are indeed facing a steep hill ahead.

What the ethanol industry needs is not more sales and marketing, but more education and public awareness.  Put money into high school, community college and university level studies on ethanol.  Let kids see for themselves the truth about the fuel.

Hard to believe lies when they are pitched to you when you've SEEN the truth.  I'd love to see Growth Energy sponsor with say Ford or GM a competition to design an e85 optimized engine.

+ equal/better HP then stock vehicle on gas.

+ equal/better MPG then stock vehicle on gas.

+ equal/better EPA emissions.

+ able to start in sub zero F temps.

+ using same transmission, drive train, body...

+ using the minimum of custom parts/maximum of off the shelf parts

It CAN be done.  No one with the money or the ability has the will/power to do it.

The "odd" thing about the missing Badges is that they are NOT missing from all the Impala's and Silverado's.. there we're at least 30 of each at both places I stopped at..nice long rows of Impalas and Silverado's "proudly" displaying the Flex Fuel Badge  (Ididn't see ANY new Impalas or Silverados on the lots without a FFV badge !)

So not sure what it means..if it is "just" about saving Money you would think the Impala and Silverado would also be missing the badges..?

If it is "symptom" of hatred for ethanol as Rusty was saying ..why remove from some models but not others..

Not sure what's going on..is a bit odd though..

The Good news is they are clearly FFV's ..