Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

Western Plaines Energy Ethanol Plant powered by Cow Manure

AG sec Vilsak awarded WP Ethanol $5 million to complete the Biofuels digester that will power the Ethanol Plant..

They will convert Cow manure and municipal waste into energy to power the plant... when complete 90% of the Power need for the ethanol Plant will come from the digester !!! No fossil fuels

Photos of construction progress http://www.wpellc.com/index.asp?DocumentID=42

digest030112.JPG

There was a small plant outside Omaha in Mead Nebraska that tried this.  They had a faulty boiler installed, resulted in an explosion... nothing to do with the concept or the idea, just bad craftsmanship...

Plant never did start up, went into bankruptcy... still idle/incomplete...

One of the other benefits to "co-locating" like this, other then the fact that you don't have natural gas or coal for fuel, but you also get to feed your Wet Distillers Grains right on site.  No drying, no storing, no extra trucks to transport... used on site, use fresh, used wet.  That in itself increases the efficiency.

following the link, I see this is an existing 50mgy plant, adding digested to provide their own fuel... very cool.

Bullsh*t!  ;D

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Anyway, yes, this is very cool technology.  I'm surprised we don't see more of this.  I'm even more surprised we don't see this at most municipal sewage treatment plants, along with cattail beds.  You know the water they release would be a lot cleaner than it is now.  It would probably help air quality in the vicinity of the plant too.

I've long visioned sewage treatment plants having these, along with a small'ish MSW-ethanol plant, with a CNG filling station on the site, filling garbage trucks delivering MSW... 

You are not the only one,  were wasting tons of energy  and need to get all we can out of it.

Sorry, posted my reply on the wrong thread.... must be friday... ::)

with corn oil now being removed from distillers grains at ethanol plants, I've often thought that it would be awesome for them to produce bio-diesel on site, and have a blender pump right there... after trucks drop off their corn, they can fill up on diesel that is produced from the corn.

A 100mgy ethanol plant would produce 3mgy bio-diesel.  What is not sold on site, could be blended and sold to area farmers with no problem...  keep the fuel local.  The bio-diesel plant (3mgy is really not very big at all) could be a partnership between the plant and the local farmers coop, so they could bring diesel to fill the diesel part of the blender, and take B100 back to their diesel facility to blend... very efficient back hauling.  With their service department, they could be working with farmers to modify/improve/ready trucks, tractors, combines, power units... to use increasing blends of bio-diesel...

If the coop found that they had a really good market (beyond the 3mgy) they could possibly look to add an oil press and expand their business...  possibly pushing for alternative crops to diversify the crops produced by their patrons, and diversify their streams of revenue....  (I'm getting WAY off topic here)

I've read that some are looking into it, but since there are ample buyers of the oil, it is cheaper to sell it, then to invest in additional infrastructure to process it and sell it for additional profits.

That is why partnering with a COOP would be ideal... shared investment, but COOP would deal with the marketing and distributing side of things...

Back to the MSW/landfill gas topic, this is being done in several places across the country, though not with ethanol, but simply at the landfill.  Garbage trucks deliver MSW to the landfill, and very few loads, fill up on CNG (or more accurately CSG for "compressed syn-gas") for a very closed loop fuel supply.  Really a no-brainer!