Sign in to follow this  
Jonny Energy

from GB talking about blending...

Just funny......

Tried E50 in a Subaru. It hesitated during acceleration, and after burning up this tankfull and refilling with E10, there was a strong gas smell from the engine, and I found several spots where hose connections had started leaking. Ethanol swells rubber, so when it's gone the rubber shrinks back, causing a leak. It was spraying over the ignition wires, too, but the wires were good so I didn't burn to death.

Who is this GB...  doubt it is Glenn Beck...

What is sad, is that this fictional story is bound to become an urban legend that is taken for gospel truth.

Swells rubber... causes leaks... from only one use... luck he didn't burn to death on the spot!  Man, short of "invalidate the warranty"... I think he hit on every ethanol in a non flex engine myth out there...

That makes MUCH MORE SENSE...  with such unfounded stereotypical urban legends being tossed about to scare the gullible sheeple/lemmings...

That sounds about like something you would read "over there"... ;)

You have to remember that we're fighting a multi-billion dollar industry here.  It would be nothing for them to put up shills on the internet to spread this BS.

It happens a lot more than you know.

The sad thing is people will do it for them for free. This guy probably honestly believes it was the ethanol, most just assume it is ethanol's fault even if they have no idea how the systems on their car work. They heard somewhere that it is bad, so obviously if the rear window wont roll down its ethanol's fault.

Ignorance and a negative attitude coupled with an apparent need to complain about something is how most of this crap is spread.

Just funny......

Tried E50 in a Subaru. It hesitated during acceleration, and after burning up this tankfull and refilling with E10, there was a strong gas smell from the engine, and I found several spots where hose connections had started leaking. Ethanol swells rubber, so when it's gone the rubber shrinks back, causing a leak. It was spraying over the ignition wires, too, but the wires were good so I didn't burn to death.

I don't find this one bit funny... I know they are burning the witch so to speak but o-rings fail and then they do, they can leak fuel.

There are guys running E85 in their WRXs(which are all '02+) just fine so I take it that it was older 90's model Subaru?

Yes a conversation over there  one guy is having fun blasting the use of ethanol and claims his 2012 Focus is getting 50 mpg  nice if you can get it.      Still  running my 2005  Pt Cruiser on at least 85%  splash mix and its running great,  guess I did it right but am happy.