Sign in to follow this  
gamechanger2011

What 5 blends would you like to see offered on blender pumps?

Dumb question.. but since my Ford Escape is a FFV, would it even run on E98 or would I get a code set?  I guess what I am wondering is does Ford's FFV support only up to E85 or does it go all the way to E98?

Supposedly all FFV's are good up to E100.  The only reason we have E85 is that the automakers were too lazy (or greedy) to install cold-start devices, instead choosing to mix 15-30% gas with the ethanol so it would fire in cold temperatures.

So E98 would work fine, just so long as you never intend to start the vehicle under a temperature of about 50F.  If it's above that it should be ok.  As such, it would make a good summer fuel.  Either that, or get out the block heaters and diethyl ether....  ;D

Interesting...  My Escape does have a block heater.  I probably wouldn't use it in the winter... but over the hot summer month I would consider giving it a try.  No where around here to get it though I don't think.

during the summer (temps above 50f) you would not need a block heater.

In Brazil they use it year round.  Doesn't get "that cold" there even during winter, but can get below 50.  Due to this, they have a small auxiliary tank inside the hood (like a washer fluid reservoir) that they add gas to (e20-25) which is used only for start up in cold weather.

Short of doing this, you could use a block heater to get the ethanol to start in cold weather.

Many have stated that it helps improve e70s fuel efficiency in the very cold, as the engine is already warmed up.