Sign in to follow this  
scottcunni

Given Up

Agree with James...  ethanol is not a scam, just that some areas don't have suppliers that WANT to service e85 stations, so they choose to jack up the prices, taking all the savings for consumers out of the fuel as their profits...

Very short sighted money grab, as they would make more money pricing it properly, and watching the volume shoot up.  Many GAS distributors fear that this would hurt their gas business, so they want to torpedo e85 before it makes any headway.

I advise you to visit with station managers, point them to e85prices.com, and let them see how their prices stack up.  Ask them who their distributor is, possibly visit with them.

Convince James to go into business and start direct distribution to the metro Detroit area ;D

Im just frustrated. Guess I understand its all about supply and demand. Just kills me to see the price climb as much as regular gas on a daily basis. Just this morning the little pump on the side here said national E85 average was $3.19 but now that just climbed .03 to $3.22 in last few hours..

I hear ya.

I don't know if it is the distributor who is ignorant/greedy, or the retailer... but it is still worth a visit.

Often people don't know how to price e85.  Show them what ethanol is trading for, and ask them "WHY is your price so high?"  if they were jacking up the price of gas this way, they'd be out of business.

I really do wish that the ethanol lobby groups would use their bags of cash to do some serious education and training in the retail, wholesale and distribution fields.  Ignorance, incompetence and greed are holding back e85 from taking off as a legitimate alternative fuel.

Here in the UP, Marquette area, gas was $4.09 and E85 in Ishpeming was $3.39. Gas dropped a couple days ago to $3.89 and I havent needed to fill up yet so I dont know what the price is in Ishpeming. They price it quite well, even if ethanol is a buck cheaper than gas at the CBOT. They also sell a bunch of it from what they told me. They used to have just one pump with E85, now they have two.

Its not so much the fuel is the problem, its someone in the middle or at the very end trying to gouge as much profit as possible. They do that around here, travel 60 miles in any direction and the price drops $.40. Marquette and Iron Mountain are usually about the same price, but Baraga and Houghton are much cheaper. They do it because they can.

With a gas station every couple blocks, they have to be competitive. With a handful of E85 stations (or maybe only 1 or 2) in a city, the prices tend to vary widely. Prices are starting to settle down here in ND now with about a 50 to 60 cent spread again.

That is not supply and demand you are seeing, it's the greedy middlemen. >:(

I've seen 30-50 cent spreads here. Which is not quite satisfactory.  :-\

The closest E85 station (27 miles) in my area keeps E85 at 40 cents less than E10 regardless of what else is happening.  The lack of E85 pumps in this part of the country is shocking.  Coskta has their pilot plant in this area and an idled corn/ethanol plant sits 100 miles away.

Here in Colorado, there is quite a range in e85 prices even among stations

of the same (independent ) brand. Don't think it's time yet to empty out the

winter blend.    I  see up to 0.30 difference in stations 30 miles from each other.

Just filled up with e85 for  $2.89 in downtown Fort Collins. 

I will agree .20 is a bad spread but a scam not to me.    That is the station fixing the price and greed on their part.    I get about .40 most times and some even greater.    As long as I can get a spread like that I will never stop using it and my mileage is near the same.