Sign in to follow this  
jamieg2012

not exactly e85 but higher than e10 at least

moving my post from the gasbuddy site since the are biased against ethanol and moderators can troll but asking them and the real trolls to stop is a violation and asking for data to back up claims is inflamatory

i am looking to sue that site and anti ethanol members

i am trying to do a as i collect data post for how my 2012 kia soul does on e30 compared to the ever so perfect e0 and even e10 - seems this is inflammatory over there so here goes to at least give some non flex drivers a basis for at least e30 when they are not so sure about using a full e85

gamechanger and jonny energy knows the whole details over there

i am in the middle of puting together all my data again so it will take a little time to get it going over here but this is my own research and posting data as it is collected

I've never posted on GasBuddy, nor do I ever intend to.  I have to deal with too many closed minded people in my daily life.  It would be too much to ask to deal with it on the internet as well.

Anyway, I'd advise against any form of "suing them."  It's just an internet forum; let it go.  I've quit a number of different forums over the years due to closed minded idiots, or just simple ***holes.  They'll eventually find out that the "in crowd" of ***holes drives away the intelligent people, and the forum goes to he**.  They'll get what they deserve, trust me.

As for other ethanol blends, I found that my old '87 Ford Bronco2 got the best mileage on E20.  Not corrected for price, not corrected for BTU, or anything else.  It went the greatest distance on a given volume of fuel with E20.  It would get close to that mileage on E0, take a significant dive on E10, then come right back up on E20, then drop off proportionally with higher ethanol concentrations. Personally, I think that E10 is the worst blend for mileage, as well as for miles / dollar.  Additionally, I have yet to find a vehicle that doesn't run well on E20.  They don't all mirror my results, but all have at least the same mileage as E10, when running E20.  Most are slightly improved over E10, with some, like my old Ford, greatly improved.

I'm attributing the difference to higher octane value in E20.  It allows the computer to adjust the timing to a more optimal setting.  Given the higher compression ratio in most newer engines, I'd be surprised if most didn't give highest mileage on some ethanol ratio higher than E10.

It's all about finding what works best in your car, flex fuel or not.

Hi Jamie. nice to have you here. The first thing I figured out when I started spreading correct information about ethanol, was to keep a folder on my computer with nothing but fuel data in it. When I have data from mileage testing, or something with my micro scale production that I provide as information on a forum, I keep a copy of it on a word document and any photos that relate to it. Even if it doesnt get deleted, it often goes back in the history and gets harder to find. So having it handy when I need it again is much easier.

I've been banned from a few sites for telling people ethanol wont hurt their car, can get better mileage, will run more compression without the excess heat, and make more power. Usually though, the trolls and ignorant gas sniffers will just keep shouting the same BS over and over, and talking over little ol' me. I ignore them, and just post correct, or as correct as I can get it, information. Most of mine is first hand over years of experience, while some is things I have read such as studies and things done in Brazil. I use the scientific method as much as possible, and try very hard to have an apples to apples comparison if at all possible. Since I am not in a lab, just a crazy guy in the woods with muscle cars and a still, well at least its repeatable if not exactly accurate to the .0000%.

Gasbuddy is exactly what it says, a buddy to gas. Going there to tell them about ethanol is like going to Mecca and trying to convince the people walking around the rock that the big bang and evolution are responsible for the world being how it is. Even if you are right, they arent going to listen and they will ridicule you at best, and lop your head off at worst just for dissenting. Suing them for their opinion on a forum that is free to join is an exercise in futility.

Just keep doing what you are doing, keep track of it as best you cant, test different variables and parameters to see what works best, and what doesnt. No need to be a crusader charging into battle with the horde alone or with a few friends, even if you win its a waste of time. The only people you want to reach are those on the fence, who are genuinely curious about ethanol fuel, not those who are adamantly against it to the point of it being dogmatic.

Choose your battles wisely, and dont rise to personal attacks.

Also, my 98 Gran Prix with the 3800 V6 gets the best mileage with 7 gallons of E0 and 8 gallons of E85. The variance is wide enough that the difference between winter and summer blend doesnt matter. With the mix in the tank it averages 27 mixed city/highway, and 34 highway. On E0 it gets 25 mixed and 31 highway, so its a decent increase and it saves me quite a bit of money by splashing it.

My 98 Formula Firebird with a 5.7L 300hp V8 loses 2mpg no matter what the mix is, and it gets a lean bank code with more than 50% ethanol. I havent done any tuning on it as yet, but it does make LOTS more power with 30%-50% in the tank, and if it didnt start over fueling to correct the lean bank issue it would run great on E85. It makes plenty of power on E85, but goes through more fuel because the computer is adding it trying to correct for the narrow O2. With 285 45 17 tires, 2.73 gears and a stock automatic trans it wont spin the tires with E0 until it is well under 1/4 tank. Add in 40% ethanol and its a smoke machine that will slide around every time it shifts and fry the tires at will. That engine loves ethanol.

Those are the only two I havent converted yet. I have a couple Blazers with the 4.3 in them, but the computer isnt capable of dealing with ethanol. It doesnt lend itself to easy tuning or changes either, but that is ok they only get driven when there is snow on the ground. Other than those two vehicles, everything I have put ethanol in has loved it and ran much better.