Sign in to follow this  
BigGreen

And another petition at the White House

Made it in our local newspaper. And yes, all comments posted at the online paper are negative towards alternative fuels. No knowledge in the beginning, and no desire to improve that. It is so much easier to sit in front of the computer and complain.

Re: Mandate that alternative fuels and recharging stations be available at all filling stations.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/!/petition/mandate-alternative-fuels-and-recharging-stations-be-available-all-filling-stations-natural-gas/2dgX3ndV

Don't check for proper grammar, at least the filer tried.

Greetings!

I'm all for alt fuels (reduced dependency on one, mostly imported fuel)... but the word "MANDATE"... that does a lot to bring out the worst in nearly all people.

I'd rather use the words "incentives, encouragement and prioritize" then that ugly "M-word"...

Tell me again WHY e85 is not considered an "alternative fuel"?

e10, as a mere blend agent... I can see excluding THAT... but e85... >:(

I don't care for mandates.  Unless this is funded it some way, it'll put most mom and pop gas stations right out of business.

I think there should be incentives to install Blender Pumps, especially in new Gas Stations being built.  They also need to get Blenders into the Cities.

I think CNG for commercial transportation makes great sense.  EV's are nice, but they are expensive.  I was reading an article yesterday that said only 25% of Hybird owners are going back and purchasing another Hybrid after the first go around.  That number dropped to like 20% if you took the Toyota Prius out of the picture.

Honestly, I'm considering getting an Electric Assist Bike and start riding into work.  The bike trails here in Des Moines are really coming together!  I could use the exercise too.

I've seen these "hybrid electric assist" bicycles for sale at "Menards" here in Omaha...  sort of currious how they worked.  Does your pedaling and the coasting of the wheels (when going down hills) help charge the battery, or is it only charged when you plug it in...

Often wondered how they would work.  The stores don't really let you do "test drives"...

Omaha is HORRIBLE with bike trails as practical means of getting places.  Lincoln (where I went to college) was MUCH better.  I used these trails to bike to classes all the time.  They took a network of old outdated abandoned rail lines that fanned out from the down town area, and made them into hiker-biker trails, often with their overpasses and tunnels over and under major roads...  made for very nice jogging and biking trails.

I was reading an article yesterday that said only 25% of Hybird owners are going back and purchasing another Hybrid after the first go around.  That number dropped to like 20% if you took the Toyota Prius out of the picture.

Honestly, I'm considering getting an Electric Assist Bike and start riding into work.  The bike trails here in Des Moines are really coming together!  I could use the exercise too.

Numbers are very reasonable for Hybrids.. from what I gathered it wasn't so much that they wouldn't get another hybrid as ..

1. There weren't any hybrids that interested them

2. There were similar MPG on some gas powered vehicles that did interest them

If you look at Hybrid MPGs.. Toyota leads the pack and no one even close ..MPG or Price.

Ford Fusion Hybrid Starts at $30,000 (that's the BASE car)(and only gets 41city/36 highway) .. come on for that Money I'd buy the Volt ($31,000 after rebate)

The BASE Prius Starts at $24,000 and gets 51 city / 48 highway

The New Prius C Starts at $19,000 and gets 53 City/ 46 highway

The problem for Ford and GM is they are late to the game.. Toyota has 10 year head start

So yeah until prices come down on US made Hybrids support will be low..they simply need to keep at it though like Toyota has.. more production and prices come down on parts including batteries

Electric Assist Bike ..  kind of like that idea.. when you get lazy/ pooped just start it up  :)

post-1-138947094696_thumb.png

The moron who wrote the post obviously has not looked into what is involved in building a CNG charging station!  Not exactly something that can be done by a mom & pop station with out MAJOR public funding, and a high volume of sales...

The public utilities company here in Omaha has just opened a CNG station, along with their other "alternative fuels" (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel, no bio-diesel, e10 ethanol, no blender pump)

http://www.i80fuel.com/Omaha-CNG-I80Fuel-fuels.html

Trust me, they've gotten several emails from me about THAT...  even linked them to the NE Ethanol Board and Growth Energy to inquire about blender pumps.

Since the station is primarily frequented by the taxi-cab fleet (many of which are CNG) you'd think that they could do a pretty good e85 business, as many of these are Impala FFVs...

Would be nice if they added an electric charging station as well.

Husker, are you sure you don't mean HYDROGEN refilling stations? CNG stations were comparable to Blender pumps from my understanding. ::)

If stations could offer the standard Gasoline, Diesel with alternatives like CNG, Electric "fast chargers", and Blenderpumps they would cover all the bases but I'd hate to imagine the huge cost to add all three. At this point I see stations adopting whatever they believe is the most competitive/popular third option in their area. Which in the Midwest means Ethanol Blenders, in the North East likely Electric fast chargers, and probably CNG in the West(California).

The partial option is separate E85 pumps like we have now and public access 220 volt metered plugs for electric cars. CNG is entirely for fleet use anyway.

I had thought that it was more like several hundred thousand dollars, rather then 20-30k... basically adding a zero to the price of a blender pump!

I may be mistaken, just when they added the CNG station here in Omaha, that was what I'd read in that article in the local paper.

I agree, stations doing what is regionally appropriate...

1.  best prices to consumers

2.  local demand will be there for

3.  they can reasonably assume to be able to pay for the investment in infrastructure...