Sign in to follow this  
HuskerFlex

Blender pump question... branded stations???

I understand how blender pumps work.  Would branded stations that are distributing a major brand of gasoline (BP/Phillips/Shell...) have problems with their contract, where they would NOT be buying "super unleaded", as they would be using the ethanol to blend to regular unleaded...? 

I understand that SOME contracts stipulate that you MUST carry regular, super and premium of their brand... or do they factor in the fact that they will be selling MUCH more regular (strait for e0, and blended for e10)...

I see that we have some blender pumps that are at Sinclair stations, but by in large, most are at farmers coops and the like... not branded name lable gas stations.

Thanks for anyone that might have some input/experience on this topic.

Husker----

Major brands- BP, Shell, Mobil, Exxon, Chevron, Conoco, etc will give their dealers the most trouble about selling all 3 grades of their gas. Many of these stations are under contract that requires this- therefore a blender would likely end up not being a "fit" for them unless it is an addition to their existing pumps rather than blenders at every position.

Much more freedom exists outside of the above brands. Unbranded (ie: Starvin' Marvin's. Poor Boy, Dan's Magical Mystery fuel, Fast Freddies, etc) or Clark (which is a brand for fee-only in name without supply) are totally open. Others in this bracket are Kwik Trip, Kwik Star, Quick Trip, Freedom, Kum and Go, etc- but of course these bigger chains will have cultural rules/hurdles of their own.

said that local stations could replace UP TO ONE OCTANE OF FUEL with an alternative fuel.  So, if the contract says they must carry regular, mid-grade, and premium, the law now says they can delete UP TO ONE OCTANE of fuel and replace it with E85. 

works out GREAT for blenders... replace mid level with e85, or would the oil companies scream to high heaven at loosing the 10% ethanol/RIN points (or 12% if blending e85...

They would be selling so much more regular unleaded to blend for e10/15/30 that I'd think that they would see the advantage of this... but probably would be enough to scare most branded stations away from putting in a blender.

What about "CENNEX" and "Ampride" and other typical "coop" brands... I'd think that these would not be a problem negotiating with...

i see no way a oil company would give up space by choice from a product they make to a product they buy from others

i like ethanol and would use the full e85 if could but oil companies have to make ethanol above e10 available easier than they do

in fact only about less than half of the stations where i am even have a e85 nozzle at all so they really have to be forced to have it

same thing happens with these 100 miles per gallon cars - oil companies spend billions to buy the patents then bury it to save the business and i see really the same kind of thing with ethanol of any blend

what we need is a coop that is ethanol only and do what mcdonalds does - put yours across the street from theirs when they compete with places like burger king all over the world

we need to do the same thing just to get availability going equal to what oil is

i just wish i knew for sure if my kia could run full e85 like the lake area tech non flex tahoe did for the study - if could i would up from the e30 pump to the e85

i even seem to remember reading a few times that gas stations had to be forded to put the e10 pumps in and tried to block it back when e10 was new - forget where i found that but is out there to find again