Sign in to follow this  
gamechanger2011

Today, for the first time, the EPA approved E15 as a registered fuel

The thing that bugs me is the caveat that E15 cant be used in cars older than 01. Yeah right, that is why I run E50 in my unmodified 98 Gran Prix and get better mileage.

I agree about E15 just being a way to increase corn and ethanol prices to satisfy greed with no thought about the consumer. They talk about national security, but its a distraction so they can get higher profits. Like Dan said, they know the time is coming when they wont have any market share left, so they are getting it when they can and we are paying for it.

Perhaps we need a non corn based small production network outside the realm of the oil companies. Anyone want to build a still?

My wife was filling up today at an awful spread station because she needed fuel.  On the other side was a Illinois State Trooper, filling up his cruiser.  My wife asked him and he said that it is a part of a state mandate to use Illinois products that they use E85 in their cruisers when it is available.

We would never think of getting rid of our E85.  We look at this as an excuse to get blender pumps.  The Kansas Corn Commission has grant money for blender pumps, with the stipulation that you carry E15.

I know of others that are trying to get blender pumps to carry it as well. The more blender pumps the better. I think that the process is going to be very slow! 

gamechanger were you able to take advantage of the REAP program ?  AG Sec Vilskas effort to get 10,000 new blender pumps installed. http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/Energy.html

Guess I'm wondering if anyone ever approached you about that program and if so did it make a difference ..

from what I remember seeing, to use the REAP 10k blender pump program, the location has to be in a rural area...

The project must be located in a rural area, which is defined as any area other than a city or town that has a population of greater than 50,000 inhabitants and the urbanized area contiguous and adjacent to such a city or town according to the latest decennial census of the United States.

http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/SupportDocuments/MO-9007%20REAP%20Flex%20Fuel%20Pump%20Grant%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

The one ethanol plant I'm in has offered $15,000 for a blender pump with not much interest. With the other incentives and that 15 grand it seems their money should have run out but no.

you'd think...

1.  USDA grant

2.  Growth Energy grant

3.  grants through state ethanol/corn growers

4.  private grants like you mentioned from producers...

that this would not take much of a leap of faith to sign up, especially in areas that don't have much for e85 service yet...

hmmmmm....

The thing that bugs me is the caveat that E15 cant be used in cars older than 01. ...

I don't think this is true. By law it is supposedly prohibited, but you still can (from a technical point of view). The law made in the 80's stated that every vehicle built after I believe 1/1/1991 has to be able to run on up to 10% Ethanol (E10)?

We used E85 on a 1984 without problem for years. We are driving a 1992 and 1999 vehicle on E85, again, with no issues.

Greetings!

I like the idea of using e15 as a way to get big more people supporting the installing of blender pumps!  If they (big ethanol, or fuel terminals, or major gas stations) want to get e15... they need to put their money where their mouth is, and start ponying up and supporting a rapid expansion of blender pumps!

More e30 and e85! ;D

I stopped at the K&G last week and splashed E30 in the Cruze. Swiped the debit card twice at the pump and went in to get some Lotto tickets. Swiped debit for the third time. Forgot to get my refreshment and tried to swipe the debit the forth time and found out my card will only allow 3 transactions in a short time frame. The manager was asking me at this point why I swiped twice at the pumps. When I told him I swiped once for E85 and then topped off with E10 and because he didn't have blender pumps, his reply was I can get 6 standard pumps for the cost of one blender. I told him to apply for the grants and he said that's how they got the E85 tanks and they only put in blenders when they are low on space. I said that's too bad your missing out on people who are willing to try other blends than E10 and E85. He didn't like it too much when I told him if anyone in the area had a blender pump I would buy 95% of my fuel there and not here because of the simplicity of the blender. He was completely miffed when I mentioned when E15 comes around he might HAVE to get a blender or two.