Sign in to follow this  
gamechanger2011

Today, for the first time, the EPA approved E15 as a registered fuel

http://www.ethanolrfa.org/news/entry/ethanol-industry-applauds-epa-approvals/

WASHINGTON - (April 2, 2012) Today, for the first time, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved E15 (gasoline with 15 percent ethanol) as a registered fuel. This is one step closer to seeing low-cost, renewable E15 sold into the American fuels marketplace.

This is the most significant development in a three year effort to approve sale of the mid-level ethanol blend, and it follows EPA's approval of health effects testing of the fuel in February.

"Our nation needs E15 to reduce our dependence on foreign oil - it will keep gas

prices down at the pump and help to end the extreme fluctuations in gas prices caused by our reliance on fuel from unstable parts of the world," said Tom Buis, CEO of Growth Energy. "Today's announcement from EPA finally puts that goal within reach."

"This announcement strengthens the ethanol industry's efforts to innovate and continue to deliver domestically-produced and affordable alternatives to foreign oil," said Buis. "With ethanol selling an average of a dollar a gallon cheaper than gasoline and $4 a gallon gasoline on the horizon, we'd encourage all Americans to ask their local filling station how soon they will see more-affordable E15."

\

"Our nation needs E15 to reduce our dependence on foreign oil - it will keep gas

prices down at the pump and help to end the extreme fluctuations in gas prices caused by our reliance on fuel from unstable parts of the world," said Tom Buis, CEO of Growth Energy. "Today's announcement from EPA finally puts that goal within reach."

\

More Hot Air from the ethanol Industry..

Tom you left out the part how Corn Prices are going to rise to record levels and how that means ethanol will prices wll rise,.alternative fuel driver s(e85 ) will suffer .

How feed cost for  Livestock, Hog and Poultry producers will rise as will consumers Grocery bill

We don't need E15 (as a base fuel0 until cellulosic is producing..nothing wrong with E15..just not made from corn

Hopefully retailers will demonstrate some common sense and say no thanks ..unless it is on a blender pump there is no need running up the price of corn and ethanol just so the corn lobby can line their pockets

What if there was a LIMIT to how much corn could be used for ethanol....  so that if the ethanol industry wanted to increase production... they would have to look for new feedstocks, new technology, further increases in efficiency to get more ethanol for every bushel of corn.

I'm not big on e15, it does not solve our oil dependence, or remove the blend wall... only postpones it.

I for one think that they should stipulate that e15 should only be dispensed in blender pumps that also offer mid and high level blends... then watch the build out of blender pump infrastructure!

This is the last line though. After this they are going need to start all over to get E20 or start from the top by pushing FFVs.

This should increase demand for Cellulosic and more First gen feedstocks, since Corn turned out to be capable of fulfilling the 10% requirement. :D

I'm at least mixed on it.

I understand...  I'd like to be optimistic and think that this is "the next step towards a brighter future"  for alternative fuels, domestic fuel, clean air, American jobs...

But the ethanol has a long held, and well deserved reputation for short sightedness, lack of vision, and expert marksmanship aim at their own feet...

I would not hold my breath that this will be a good thing...

So the EPA can register e15 as a fuel quickly but we still cant get E85 as a registered "alternative fuel."  Unfortunately groups like coalition for e85 cant even get groups like RFA out Growth Energy to go to bat with them.  Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

What if there was a LIMIT to how much corn could be used for ethanol.... 

Yes

.. 15 Billion Gallons is the limit.. keep in mind last year we produced 14+ billion gallons.. 1.4 billion Above what was required for 2012..that over production is what caused corn ad ethanol prices to surge.

The Corn Lobby's next step is to try and get the 15 Billion gallon Cap removed ..If we can keep the Cap on then prices will moderate..so they will PUSH as fast as they can to get at the 15 Billion so they can cry to Congress about how unfair it is they have hit the blend wall.  They will line the Pockets of Congress and try and get that Cap removed

They want to do this BEFORE cellulosic / next generation is producing ..they know once cellulosic/next Gen takes off they wont ever get anymore market share.

post-1-138947094677_thumb.png

Unfortunately groups like coalition for e85 cant even get groups like RFA out Growth Energy to go to bat with them.  Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Because E15 means volume ..(gravy)..fast $$$$

E85 means growth and requires investment

has ANYONE heard the RFA ,Growth or Corn  complain about the bad spread or taking on Oil about the $1.00 commodity spread not being passed on to Consumers.. hell no

Again their Lobby is for their Industry ..not for the Consumer

Side Note: John ..the coder is cleaning up coding in the log in  form as he is working on the Mobile Prices site..hopefully that will take care of your login issues .. another week or so

We would never think of getting rid of our E85.  We look at this as an excuse to get blender pumps.  The Kansas Corn Commission has grant money for blender pumps, with the stipulation that you carry E15.

I know of others that are trying to get blender pumps to carry it as well. The more blender pumps the better. I think that the process is going to be very slow! 

High gas prices are driving people to E85 in our area.  Still have a long ways to go.  It amazes us how the mechanics at the car dealerships tell people that ethanol is bad for their FFV's.  So much bad stigma! 

I saw a postal worker in a FFV van yesterday filling up with unleaded.  I went out and told him that he should be filling with E85.  He had the FFV on the back and the yellow gas cap.  He said, "well I was looking at the sign while I was filling up (with unleaded), and wondered if I was supposed to be using that.  I was looking at the price difference."  I told him that it was in fact a federal mandate.  We are going to go the postmaster and try to get that changed.  I was thinking...geez...no wonder the postal service is losing money!  I couldn't believe that they are using unleaded in their flex fuel fleet. It's crazy!