Sign in to follow this  
HuskerFlex

Genuine mileage testing question...

I would like to know what my car would be getting for mileage on gas, but have NEVER used gas...

Question?

Will using gasoline cause any damage to my 2010 Ford Fusion FFV?  Would the use of gasoline, even if just for 1-2 tanks full, be enough to cause any carbon build up/gunk/varnish in the gas tank?  Will it shorten the life of my car?

Currently on my mixed in-town, highway commute I'm getting 19-21 mpg.  The book states that "gas mileage" should be 20 for city, 24 on high way.  I was just curious what my car "would be getting" on my specific commuting route to compare against with e85.... ;D

I doubt one or two tanks would cause buildup, plus future e85 fillings would clean it out. What I would worry about more is computer calibration.

If I put in a tank of gas after running E85 for a while the gas mileage doesn't improve that drastically. The next tank will be better. The subsequent E85 filling will be worse then improve. Supposedly it takes the computer 50 miles or so to recalibrate after you reset it and I'd be its the same when switching back and forth.

I usually get 15.6 or so on E85 in my Grand Marquis 17-18 on gas. If I run a tank of gas it only bumps it up to 16, then if I switch back its like 13. (Those are mostly city figures, highway would be slightly better). It takes a tank or two to balance back out. Consequently I just run E85 all the time.