Sign in to follow this  
cessna

Pink Slime

Beef Processor Shuts Down Three Plants Due To "Pink Slime"

The top producer of lean finely-textured beef dubbed "pink slime" is halting production at three of its four plants. South Dakota-based Beef Products Incorporated administrator Rich Jochum said "This is a direct reaction to all of the misinformation about our lean beef." The company halted operations at plants in Waterloo, Iowa, Finney County, Kansas and Amarillo, Texas on Monday. The affected plants employ 650 people. The company's largest facility in South Sioux City, Nebraska will remain open. USDA has clearly stated the beef is safe, but an ABC News story has prompted a public outcry leading to a number of the nation's largest food retailers and school districts pulling products from their shelves and menus.  You can read more about this topic at www.iowacornstalk.blogspot.com. Source: Brownfield Network, March 26, 2012.

“Should ABC News be Liable for Job Losses due to Lean Beef Trimmings Story?” This is one of the worst examples of supposed “news” reporting I’ve seen lately. It shows how a desperate for ratings news network will not just distort facts but publish erroneous information. They have no credibility. However, a gullible public has embraced their misinformation. The result? Job layoffs for people with families to feed who were making a very safe and nutritious product. That’s twisted. Do you think ABC News should be held liable? Should the media be held accountable for the financial impact inaccurate news stories have on jobs and businesses? Another likely outcome of this debacle will be higher beef prices. Nice, huh?

If for some reason you don’t know what this is all about, here’s a link to the ABC News story and here’s where you can get the truth – BeefisBeef.com.

so how can it be called "filler" when it is made from.... Beef?

I could see if it was a soy product, corn gluten, fungi derived, some chemically manipulate gelatinous ooze propagated in massive test tubes powered by lightning strikes in some secret mysterious lab high atop a mountain....

Sounds like the headline should read "Breaking News... Your Hamburger May be tainted with Perfectly Healthy Lean Beef"

Should there not be some accountability for the money lost, the jobs lost from this shamelessly unfounded hysteria created by the liberal media?  Sure boosted THEIR ratings I bet... probably win an award for "investigative journalism"...

A friend that is keeping closer tabs on the news said that Hy Vee grocery stores were going to start using it again after dropping it. It does seem like some of those that were laid off might do something against ABC.

they were talking about this on the way in on AM radio... they will begin using it again, but will clearly mark which products contain it so people can make their own decisions. 

With as many stores as they run, this could help the companies out, if the public has not already been influenced too much already...

Years ago we had an old Holstein bull which weighed nearly 2350 lbs- he was huge, rather exceptional at the time. He also could not be contained by fences anymore- especially when the ladies were about. He brought us a nice premium over cull/cutter grade because the market at the time wanted a lean beef that tended to absorb water when ground and mixed into normal ground beef. ;D  So as TD says- you might prefer your meat to be in recognizable form. BTW- do they have white slime too? (chicken, turkey, pork)

so you have the ignorant (at best) media, feeding on the even more ignorant public by creating an unfounded hysteria over a non-issue.

I though the media was suppose to help INFORM the public...

BTW- do they have white slime too? (chicken, turkey, pork)

Like I said above, they make chicken nuggets via a similar process (heat, centrifuge to get rid of the fat, spray with something toxic to kill the bacteria). I have accidentally grabbed the wrong bag of chicken before, thinking I was getting breast strips and there's a BIG difference.