Sign in to follow this  
cessna

Pink Slime

This is off topic in a way but in another way not. Have you been paying attention to the pink slime deal in the news. Our society is mostly ignorant.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/03/is-pink-slime-in-the-beef-at-your-grocery-store/

“Should ABC News be Liable for Job Losses due to Lean Beef Trimmings Story?” This is one of the worst examples of supposed “news” reporting I’ve seen lately. It shows how a desperate for ratings news network will not just distort facts but publish erroneous information. They have no credibility. However, a gullible public has embraced their misinformation. The result? Job layoffs for people with families to feed who were making a very safe and nutritious product. That’s twisted. Do you think ABC News should be held liable? Should the media be held accountable for the financial impact inaccurate news stories have on jobs and businesses? Another likely outcome of this debacle will be higher beef prices. Nice, huh?

Not a fan of Pink Slime ..actually bought fresh ground from the butcher counter instead of off the shelf the other day simply because I couldn't get rid of the  "pink slime" thought  ;D

I hadn't heard of pink slime until recently. It comes from the trimmings off of steak. Probably a lot healthier than hot dogs. It is getting the same kind of press that ethanol gets a lot of.

ABC nightly news has covered it a lot in the last couple weeks.

I for one would prefer it be labeled, but have only purchased 1 lb of ground beef in the last 2 years. I prefer turkey.

Ground beef (and hotdogs) are both junk meat, stuff you wouldn't want to eat if it wasn't ground up and unrecognizable.

They do something similar to make chicken nuggets too, which is why you only want chicken breast strips.

Does this sound like something you willingly would buy?

"As seen in the movie Food Inc., the low-grade trimmings come from the most contaminated parts of the cow and were once only used in dog food and cooking oil. But because of BPI’s treatment of the trimmings — simmering them in low heat, separating fat and tissue using a centrifuge and spraying them with ammonia gas to kill germs — the United States Department of Agriculture says it’s safe to eat."

It's nothing new, and most folks have been eating it for decades. It's only a big deal now because someone brought it to our attention, but it does point out one problem with our industrial food supply...companies will do "anything" to save a few cents.

It's nothing new, and most folks have been eating it for decades. It's only a big deal now because someone brought it to our attention, but it does point out one problem with our industrial food supply...companies will do "anything" to save a few cents.

it is a big deal.. when consumers think they are buying 100% beef and instead are getting beef filler..intestines,colon, cartlidge etc..and they HAVE to treat it because it is almost always contaminated with Salmonella and E coli ..yeah that's a big deal.

instead of having an attitude against the bad old liberal media these are the times we need to thank the media FOR bringing it to our attention..

It's disgusting behavior by corporations just to save a few pennies ..

Here is what pink slime is made from. It is not intestines and junk like that. I'm surprised you guys like ethanol. The same type of people that lie about ethanol are lying about what pink slime comes from--- it comes from steaks and roast trimmings. It's probably leaner than your hamburger and less likely to get E coli. They gas it with ammonia hydroxide---lets see lutefisk is soaked in sodium hydroxide isn't it.

The saturated stockfish is then soaked in an unchanged solution of cold water and lye for an additional two days.

Like most people, I love a good hamburger (of course made with 93% lean ground beef) so let's get rid of the term "Pink Slime", it's un-appetizing and sounds gross. What we are talking about is lean finely textured beef or lean beef trimmings mixed with ground beef to make that juicy hamburger on your plate. Lean beef trimmings have been used for almost two decades.

What exactly are lean beef trimmings?

Lean beef trimmings are processed from beef that is trimmed from steaks and roasts, this product is 100% beef. Usually these cuts have a high percentage of fat, so a  process was developed that separates the lean muscle tissue from the fat (and I'm all for that!). This prevents the waste of lean, healthy beef. The process that is used is very similar to the way that we separate cream from milk. The resulting product from this is very low fat (95+% lean), which many consumers desire.