Sign in to follow this  
Jonny Energy

Illinois Price Spreads and E10

Quick point.  Many other states have E0 and posters always put E10 prices in the comment section, the e10 price is always 8-15 cents cheaper than E0.  The problem with Illinois is that regular doesn't come with E0.  Technically speaking if we had E0 the price spreads would be better in Illinois.  If we adjusted all the gasoline prices in Illinois 8-10 cents more assuming the cost of E0 we would be looking a lot better as a state. Comments...

so all grades (regular, super, premium) are e10?  :-\

I used to post the "cheapest" gas price (super here in NE) as that is what e85 is competing against in the public eye... but after a year of that crusade and getting cussed out by several users, I decided to "join the crowd" and stop swimming against the current.

So you are saying that your "regular" prices are being deflated due to the fact that even THIS has 10% ethanol in it? This causes your spreads to appear slimmer then they are...

As much as I'd like to see IL "yellow" on the map... that is just the way it is.  States that have lower taxes for e85 then for gas are then also seeing their spreads inflated due to this.  The rest of the states that unfairly tax them the same are penalized...  but that is what the marke is.

Is the "all fuels ethanol blended" a state law for air quality?  I've never seen this.

E10 has been around for many years here in Illinois and I have never seen an Illinois pump for regular that didn't have the 10% ethanol tag on it.  Never paid attention to mid or super but they are always higher.

Quick point.  Many other states have E0 and posters always put E10 prices in the comment section, the e10 price is always 8-15 cents cheaper than E0.  The problem with Illinois is that regular doesn't come with E0.  Technically speaking if we had E0 the price spreads would be better in Illinois.  If we adjusted all the gasoline prices in Illinois 8-10 cents more assuming the cost of E0 we would be looking a lot better as a state. Comments...

Morning John..yeah we've been over this a number of times.. you are correct.  If price spreads were calculated against "real" gasoline.. E0 price spreads would be wider by 4-8 cents.

At one time I even passed that the idea around of (automatically ) lowering all Gasoline prices downward  5 cents on submitted prices since 90% of all (base fuel0 gasoline is actually E10

People didn't like that idea..and yes I can see people getting upset if they submit a price and the price is 5 cents less than what they actually submitted

So what are we going to do (how should E85Prices.com display prices/spreads) when E15 is the Nations "Base' Fuel in 5 years ?

The only place that even sells E0 out here in the NW woods of IL... prices it exactly the same as everyone else's E10.

Wow- They are CHOOSING to sell E0 at 10 cents less margin! That is foolish unless they are targeting boats and have quite a bait shop or recreational market with a lot of inside income. Let me guess- they would never dream of E85 ;D