Sign in to follow this  
Thumpin455

Mileage with old cars on E85

As you know I am into the old cars in a big way, and I convert carbs for E85. There is another guy converting Qjet carbs to ethanol in South Carolina. He did the conversion himself before he knew about my work with the same carbs. Together we have figured them out pretty well. He has a Trans Am with a 400, low compression heads, a mild cam, and 2.73 gears. According to his GPS, because the odometers can be off a bit in these old cars, he has been averaging 18mpg mixed driving, that is about what my 79 TA used to get on pump gas. This is from a large V8 in an old car with only a modified carb. He is currently getting some heads that will raise the compression in his engine to over 12:1 rather than the paltry 8:1 he has now, so he should see an increase in both power and mileage from that. Not bad for what it is, and how terrible ethanol is for mileage.  ;)

My GTO is getting closer to the road, have been holding off on it until I am sure the snow is all gone and we wont get any more salt on the roads. The 13.5:1 heads are here, all I need to do is bolt them on and do some tuning. It still needs a wideband O2 so I can tune it right, but otherwise its just a couple days from being road ready. I plan to put lots of miles on it this year, mainly because it will be cheaper driving it than any of the cars I have yet to convert to E85. It doesnt hurt that I have been itching to drive my toy again.

Will keep you posted once the GTO gets out and my associate gets his compression raised.

It needs some rust repair under it, so until I get that done the GTO will be the mileage mule. It has a missing rear frame rail, but I have a parts car to fix it. I just need the time and space to do the work, and the 65 GTO is taking up both of those right now. The 70 is closer to running and driving, and I know how well it did on gas for comparison. Eventually the TA will get a dedicated ethanol engine, and I know I can get great mileage out of one of those. I would rather make fuel and have something to burn it in than cut and weld rusty metal. Been doing the rust thing for some time now.