Sign in to follow this  
Jonny Energy

Road Ranger and Pilot E85 pricing is terrible

Road Ranger keeps prices at each station up to date including E85. http://www.roadrangerusa.com . The bad news is they promote E85 on their site yet their pricing on E85 is absolutely terrible at most stations.  Time to make them aware that playing the we support e85 game while overcharging customers simply doesn't cut it.

I totally agree with you Jonny.  The Belvidere station has a miniscule 30 cent spread, and Cherry Valley is even worse with a 20 cent spread typically.  I travel frequently to Springfield, Peoria, Bloomington, Champaign, and occasionly St. Louis for work now, and know I'm just passing the Roadrangers by now.  I will fill up either at the Shell on Baxter or Petro in Rochelle.  Shell was 2.99 when I filled up a week ago, and is about 5 miles from the Cherry Valley Road Ranger.  It's a shame they just continue to price gouge, as I would use the Belvidere station primarily because it's less than 10 minutes from my home.  But I will drive the extra 15 miles when e85 is 50 to 70 cents a gallon cheaper, and when I'm bone dry my Grand Cherokee will hold 24 gallons.  I filled out a  survey on their website letting them know I'm taking my business elsewhere because of this.

I received an email back from a rep from RoadRanger.  This is what they sent back to me:

Thank you for taking the time to send us a note. 

I apologize for your frustration in regards to our E-85 gas.  As it is against our company policy to discuss any pricing for fuel, I can say that E-85 is actually only 75% ethanol at this time of year and goes to 80 in the summer. While we cannot speak for how a competitor may price, he could have bought a large amount of inventory before the costs ran up. Possibly he could not sell much as much so hasn’t had to pay the higher prices. Or perhaps he could be using the product as a loss leader. Ranger's E-85 prices are equal to or better than anyone else in Rockford. And we sell large enough quantities to ensure you are getting a fresh product.

I hope this clarifies any questions you may have regarding out our E-85 product

So I stopped by each gas station in the area coming home from work yesterday.  The three RoadRanger stations in the area ran between 3.62 to 3.65, while The Shell at Baxter Road in Rockford is still $2.99.  So much for that equal to or better than anyone else in Rockford pricing.  This worries me,as Road Ranger's headquarters are in Rockford.  Do they not know what's going on in their own backyard???  I replied to the message pointing out the 65 cent difference, and asked them to double check their pricing.  We shall see what they do (or don't do) next.