Sign in to follow this  
HuskerFlex

Power-dense powertrains for Malibu rollout (Ecotec 2.5)

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/03/malibu-20120309.html

Power-dense powertrains for Malibu rollout

The all-new Ecotec 2.5L debuting on the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu midsize sedan this summer is one of the most-powerful naturally aspirated four-cylinder engines in the midsize segment. It will be joined this fall by a new Ecotec 2.0L turbo engine, delivering more horsepower than any previous V-6 offered in a Malibu.

Malibu’s Ecotec 2.5L delivers an SAE-certified 197 horsepower (147 kW) and 191 lb-ft. of torque (259 N·m)—the most torque of any naturally aspirated four-cylinder in the segment. And when compared with the competition, it delivers 19 more horsepower (14 kW) and 21 more lb-ft of torque (28 N·m) than the 2012 Toyota Camry LE’s 2.5L I4 engine, and 27 more horsepower (20 kW) and 21 more lb-ft (28 N·m) than the 2013 Ford Fusion’s 2.5L four-cylinder.

The Ecotec 2.0L turbo is SAE-certified at 259 horsepower (193 kW) and 260 lb-ft of torque (353 N·m). Its peak torque is sustained from 1,700 to 5,500 rpm....

NO mention of FFV capability!  They are missing the boat on this.  Other then full size trucks, cars and SUVs, does GM really do much at all with FFV?

When I look out of the freeway with the standard "commuter traffic"... the majority of the cars are mid sized... (Malibu, Fusion, Camrey...) about as many full sized as there are compacts, all the SUVs together about equal the mid sized cars

How can they be ignoring this...

In my family fleet of 2 vehicles... we needed a minivan (well, "needed" is a term defined by the "decision maker" who has the ultimate veto/ultimatum power... :-X in our family), and a mid sized car (I'm 6'4" and we do occasionally have all 4 in my car, so a smaller car was not doable....)

So since FFV was mandatory...  that means we had really NO options.

Chrysler/Dodge makes the only FFV minivan the Town & Country/Caravan.

Ford/Mercury makes the only FFV midsized auto the Fusion/Milan.

GM/Chevy doesn't make EITHER! None!

Seriously Detroit?  Come on.  I still like to occasionally go to a dealership, ask to look at one of these categories I know they DON'T have in FFV, get them all excited about the sure sale then drop the "this is a FFV right?..." ;D  Watch them squirm and back their way out of it....  One of my favorites is "it can use ethanol... they look it up and say "see, right here, it says it can use up to 10% ethanol or e10..." thinking they've got their sale back...  Then I drop "what about 85% ethanol, or e85?  That's what I'm talking about.  If this can't use e85, then I can't buy it...." 

I thank them for their time, give them my name and number and tell them to get back to me when they have this model or one similar that is a FFV...

I seriously would like to see a grass roots campaign to spread this message to dealers nationwide.

How can they be ignoring this

Big brother the Oil Company.

I chalk it up to the old chicken vs. egg debate.

Customers complain there aren't enough stations selling it, stations won't build because there arent enough cars, and car companies won't build them because there isn't enough customer base.

I don't think it will be solved unless people quit laying down and start demanding it. I know about 30 people with FFV's who haven't once used it.

E85 needs a MLK type figure.