Sign in to follow this  
deckhand

Running E85 with no conversion

I went for it right from the getgo

50/50 in all 3 of my vehicles..all is good,

I'm 60/40 in my work van and it runs great.

I went 70/30 1 time in it, and it didn't like that very much soooo back to 60/40 we go.

I just need to get the converter and be done with it all.

1) 1999 ford E-250 extended work van 5.4L triton..60/40 with no problems

2) 1998 Pontiac Montana 3.8L V6...50/50 runs the best it ever has

3) 2000 Buick Park Avenue 3.8L V6...50/50 runs great

Remember to change your fuel filter after 2 or 3 tanks of blend

vmax- how long have you been running at these levels? How did you determine the top limit- CEL, scantool, or by starting/ operating issues? You asked about kits but some on this site simply change to a larger injector if they are getting a CEL. What you do will depend on what you are comfortable doing. Give some of these folks a bit of what your goals are (HP, ease of install, low cost, etc) and I think someone will help you.

Furball- been attacked yet by this crowd? ;D

With the ford van I just kept adding more E85 until It ran rough. I found that  at 70/30 I had preformance issues..hard starting, mis-fire..ect.

So I went to 60/40 and all of the problems went away.

I haven't had a CEL on this van.

With the other two vehicles I just started out at 50/50, and have never had any problems there, so I have just stayed there.

The one car is my wife's car, so I don't drive it, but she tells me that it runs fine.

I have been running like this for 2 or 3 months.

It's been in the low 20's this week and everything has started fine.

I'm mainly interested in a kit for the ford van, because I drive it the most, and I'll test it on that vehicle and then maybe do the other cars later.

If I just put in bigger injectors in how does that effect running gas?

If I just put in bigger injectors in how does that effect running gas

If you increased injector size by 15%, it sounds like you would have a home brew FFV given the wide tuning latitude your ECU appears to have.

I did that on my Subaru and it ran just fine at low boost. Open loop fueling (wide open throttle) will be a bit lean on E85 and a bit rich on gasoline. The ECU will have enough tuning authority to get normal mixtures in closed loop fueling where you drive 98% of the time. On my WRX it was too lean for my taste under boost so I tweaked the fuel pressure more towards a full E85 mixture, but it will run okay on gasoline in a pinch with no adjustments if the tune is set for that 15% increased flow for a perfect tune on 50/50 blend.

By using an adjustable fuel pressure regulator I can in about 30 seconds shift the whole fuel curve rich or lean by moving the base fuel pressure. It takes 1 - 1.5 turns of the pressure screw to go from a gasoline tune to an E85 tune.

If you are running a high performance High power car it is not quite precise enough but for a daily driver it seems to work just fine.

I got the answers I wanted since then and have moved to a full time E85 tune since I now can buy it easily, and it only takes 30 seconds to change the fuel pressure if I ever need to drive very far on normal gasoline.

Larry

Keep adding E85,

You with either notice a drop in performance, or get a Check Engine Light when you hit the limit.

My '98 Frontier hit a wall at 70% with performance decrease, so I tend to run it around E50