Sign in to follow this  
deckhand

Running E85 with no conversion

Work your way up slow scrounger- you may be surprised how far she will go. If it stumbles at warm idle (or on accelleration) or becomes hard to start increase the % gas. Guys i know who are running straight E85 in these OBD1 vehicles do report that they need to warm a couple of minutes before they take off in the morning because ethanol takes longer to heat the engine. Dan is likely right- you may find 50% is your limit- but do not be suprised if you can run a little higher. At higher % levels if you are going to do much wide open throttle you may want to pull plugs and make sure you do not see signs of detonation.

Welcome! Nice to have another convert aboard!

I had a 93 Geo Tracker with that same 1.6L motor. The ECU's are the same. It's a fairly dumb ECU, which works in your favor. I agree with Dan that about 50% is where you might run into issues on that OBD1 vintage. In fact, that motor only has about 9:1 compression and no turbo boost, so full E85 might not run as well in it.  30-50% is going to be that car's happier range without touching anything. I did a lot of mods to my Tracker back in the day ;D. That ECU can't do terribly much. A turbo'd 1.6 runs around up here with 440 secondary injectors on gas. It's pretty quick.

You can crank up the fuel pressure a bit by installing an rrfpr on the fuel return line. Secondary injectors from SDS would also work fine. The advantage of dumber, older computers is that they are easier to adjust sometimes. There are very few wires. The downside is that the computer can't "see" as much as an obd2 system can. Less sensors means less data available.

The distributor needs a torx head, I think. Loosen that and turn the distributor to advance the timing ever so slightly clockwise, until it raises the idle. Counterclockwise should retard timing and lower the idle. The ECU responds when you do this, that's why the idle changes even though the timing gets adjusted. You can readjust the throttle cable. DO NOT OVERCRANK THE DISTRIBUTOR!!! YOU WILL BLOW YOUR MOTOR!!! A 30% blend will run better than premium gas. That, plus advancing your timing about 5 degrees forward might pitch a CEL, but should run really well and not run hot or lean.

I spun my 1.6 to about 8k regularly. I also had a 5spd with 5.13 rear gears. It liked retarded timing because  of the high redline and steep gears, but it was a slightly different setup.

You're in good hands :).

Guest colchiro

It helps if you have something to tell you how much gas is in the tank (I use a ScanGauge II). On my vehicle with a 15 gallon tank, I know that the low gas light comes on and it takes 12 gallons to fill. When I was running E60, that meant 4 gallons of E10, then top it off E85. E47 was pretty easy too, half E10, and half E85.

FWIW, my first CEL, occurred at E81.

thank all for tips.prob not gonna do alterations though.just ride the safe ok [45-50%area].and smile on the extra savings!!!!i rarely go over 50 mph anyway. this car was getting 60+ mpg on unl ...drive 45,tires 10 over,skip 4th gear[1,2,3,5],always coast downhill.

Guest colchiro

I worked my way up until I had issues then backed off. I found summer starting issues at E70 and CEL at E81 so backed off to a convenient E60. I used an Excel sheet to calculate my % after each fill.

Your driving patterns sound like the some of the tricks hard core Prius users are doing.

Ok, so evidently I've been hiding under a rock here in NW Wisconsin, five miles or so from an ethanol plant.  I stumbled onto the whole E85 thing when I pulled up to a station and almost filled up with it.  After reading several threads here what I'm getting is that it is a good bet that I can run at least 50% E85 in my 2005 F-150 or 2005 Tahoe without any major concerns or mods to the vehicles.  I'm also getting the impression that I can probably push it to even higher percentages, but it would be best to experiment a little and work my way up.  Is there any way, short of the experimentation, to find out what the limits may be?  Any sites that maybe have test reports or anything like that?  I've noticed some issues being mentioned here and there about some vehicles being a little more difficult to start when cold, how significant are the problems.  It isn't staying below freezing the entire day yet, but soon.  Any info anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Guest colchiro

I know of Ford Explorers and Tahoe's that are FFV so you might be set. Can you check the owner's manual or the inside of the fuel door (just a guess)? There's more than one Explorer owner here. I believe there's a VIN code for the Explorer FFV. You might search for Ford and VIN.