Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

Ford Focus FFV 1.6l and 2.0 L

I had seen at one time that the Ford Focus was suppose to be a FFV for 2012 (which it ended up not being for us )

It IS a Full E100 Capable in Brazil in the 1.6 L as well as the 2.0L (the same 2.0l duratec used in States as far as I can tell)

Google Translation a bit off but from Fords Brazil site  http://www.ford.com.br/

"The Ford Focus Sedan brings technology, modernity, innovation and two new engine options: 1.6L Sigma 16V Duratec 2.0L 16V Flex and Flex. Both engines are built with block, aluminum heads and pistons. 16V Engine 1.6L Flex Sigma Sigma Motor preserves and enhances the driving pleasure with flexible and balanced performance. It has excellent balance of torque and power reaching 116 hp and 109 hp with alcohol with gasoline. Engine 2.0L Duratec 16V Flex The Flex 16V 2.0L Duratec engine develops an output of 148 hp and 143 hp with alcohol when fueled with gasoline. Available with 5-speed manual transmission or 4-speed sequential automatic. The differential sequential automatic transmission is that it combines the ease and convenience of an automatic transmission with the performance of a manual transmission, allowing rapid and sport gently. The driving pleasure in Flex 2.0L engine is enhanced with electro-hydraulic steering with 3 care standards: normal, comfort and sport.

Now in the Philippines that same 2.0L engine is a E20 FFV (as well as the 1. 8)

"In the Philippines, Ford unveils the first ever FFV vehicles in the Ford Focus 1.8 litre and Ford Focus 2.0L Sport - an unprecedented achievement in Philippines automotive history. Both vehicles are E20 capable, http://www.ford.com.ph/cars/focus#overlay=1248919289630

I don't think there is any question that the US Versions are coming in at least the 2.0 for Ford .. probably waiting to see if the Political will and or Market will to get blenders/ E85 installed will actually happen at a far faster pace than it has been the past 7 years or so.

In Brazil the "will" was there you can buy E100 at nearly any Station..so Ford Makes  Full FFVs  E0-E100

post-1-138947094599_thumb.png

thanks for fining this... I've long suspected this.

I'd think that with the oil/gas prices being as they are and predicted to get much worse... and ethanol being cheap... that this would be enough to convince many stations and chains of stations to look really hard at doing this really quick...

I see more talk about CNG filling stations quite a bit.  Some group has a modular CNG compression station that they are trying to mass produce to help bring down the costs.

High prices do encourage alternatives.  Having the blenders UL certified (better late then never) does help....

any chance you could purchase the "Brazilian flash download" program for the ECU on one of these? ::)

With the way the internet works, and the way "file sharing works" online... I'd be pretty sure that if you asked the right people, you could get a hold of it.  I know the dealership will NOT do this for you.  I think a "back alley cash only mechanic" that works with the illegal racing community could probably do this in 20 minutes or so...

I sure hope the CNG has to go through the same rigorous testing that E15 and E85 has had to. Maybe we can get CNG approved in 20 years or so. >:( I'd really like to know what it took to get M85 approved back in the day.

The 1.6L Duratec is infact the base engine in Europe for the Focus where it is also Flexfuel.  >:( I remember you linked to that piece awhile ago Dan.

It's used here for the Fiesta and not a single mention of making it a FFV.

I apologize for bumping the topic, but it seemed more effective to post this here than in a new topic.

I was browsing around the flex fuel info on EPA's fuel economy site, http://www.fueleconomy.gov, and found that Ford is making a flex fuel model of the Focus for the 2013 model year. What really got me hooked is that it gets the kind of mileage numbers on E85 that my car gets with E30.

You do still lose a considerable amount of gas mileage running it on E85 (seeing as how one can get 40 mpg on gasoline on the highway), but it is definitely something to think about.

post-2516-138947095173_thumb.jpg

My 2012 is doing between 30 and 34 on E85. The lower number was the other day when I was bucking a headwind and had the cruise set at 70 to 73 mph on the interstate going uphill from NW MO to NW IA. I can't believe it would have gotten 40 under those conditions.

My 2012 is doing between 30 and 34 on E85. The lower number was the other day when I was bucking a headwind and had the cruise set at 70 to 73 mph on the interstate going uphill from NW MO to NW IA. I can't believe it would have gotten 40 under those conditions.

cessna what are you getting for pure city ?

cessna what are you getting for pure city ?

I don't know----usually don't start it up unless I'm going at least 25 miles away and driving through Omaha on the interstate is as close to city as I've done so far. :)