Sign in to follow this  
Jonny Energy

Newt Gingrich and Drill baby drill.

I remember not so many months watching a Freedom film screening. Low and behold Newt was talking about biofuels including Algae and the way it will help us toward energy independence.  Today he was preaching drill baby drill and actually called Obama weird because he mentioned algae and biofuels in his energy speach. The other republican presidential hopefuls are following suit.  WTF!

FEDERAL WAY, Wash.— Newt Gingrich has been hitting Obama’s energy speech since the president delivered it Thursday, calling the speech funny enough to be on SNL and “something worthy of Leno or Letterman.”

Gingrich’s biggest talking point about Obama’s speech attacks the president for his embrace of investments in biofuels such as those made from algae.

He is referring to a point in Obama’s speech when the president said, “We’re making new investments in the development of gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel that’s actually made from a plant-like substance known as algae.”

“Believe it or not, we could replace up to 17% of the oil we import for transportation with this fuel that we can grow right here in America,” Obama said.

On Thursday night, Gingrich mocked the president’s speech in front of an Idaho crowd, by suggesting that he should take a bottle of algae with him and “go around and we can have the Obama solution.”

“And maybe what we ought to do at Newt.org is we ought to get t-shirts that say ‘You choose.’ Gingrich went on to suggest the slogans, ‘You have Newt: Drill here, Drill Now, Pay Less. You have Obama: Have Algae, Pay More, Be Weird.”

Gingrich himself has taken a lot of flack on the campaign trail this year for presenting ideas that the other candidates have called “grandiose” and “zany.”

In particular, at a speech in Florida, Gingrich presented his idea for a colony in space. ”By the end of my second term, we will have the first permanent base on the Moon and it will be American,” Gingrich said in January.

(Gingrich’s space idea actually was parodied on SNL in February.)

While Gingrich said a base on the moon would only take 9 years – and could be done by the end of his second term, today he said the concept of algae biofuel that Obama presented could take years longer.

“It’s a terrific concept, and I think in 20, 30, 40 years it will be at scale, maybe,” Gingrich said.

Gingrich said that while he is a “big fan” of science, Obama’s biofuels endeavor could be like the bankrupt Solyndra project. “You know the President had this magnificent solar power investment and took 500 something-million of your money, (he) visited the plant because it was the plant of the future,” Gingrich said. “I suspect in the next few weeks we’ll see him at some algae plant.”

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/02/gingrich-says-obamas-algae-policy-is-weird-and-could-take-40-years/

Though I don't understand (well I do, but I don't like it...) the current GOP field's near total alienation of alternative fuels to help in the field of energy independence, jobs and the economy...

I don't think the current administration is doing enough.  The current sec. of energy Chu actually stated...

http://www.sunshinestatenews.com/story/no-gas-pains-barack-obama-energy-chief-lower-prices-still-not-priority

At a House hearing this week, Energy Secretary Chu was asked if "the overall goal [of President Obama] is to get our price lower?" Chu replied, "No."

The secretary's curt response reiterated a statement he made back in December 2008 -- when gas prices were half what they are today.

Upon being named energy secretary, the former college professor said the administration's strategy would be to raise prices high enough to make expensive alternatives more competitive.

"Somehow," Chu told the Wall Street Journal, "we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe."

Press reports noted Thursday that the administration is moving inexorably toward its goal.

"While this Democrat president can't make many claims to genuine achievement in the first 1,136 days of his presidency, he has made impressive progress in raising the price of gasoline for American drivers more than halfway to Europe's $8-to-$9 a gallon level," Investors Business Daily stated.

Though expensive gas does make it easier for e85 to look cheap.. this is NOT the way to do it... it is killing the ethanol industry (thanks in a large part to their short sighted and greedy long term policy of only pushing ethanol as a blending agent, not an alternative fuel), and it is throttling the economy.

The current administration isn't doing enough because they can't. Congress brings up the bills and let's face it, the house is more interested in killing womens rights then actually helping the country moving towards the future.  All I here is Rs preaching small government yet they want to control peoples lives and reward the rich with even more

Unfortunately the only time people start thinking about alternatives is when oil is high. When this happens the politicians start the blame game instead of actually doing something. We are the only country right now that has no government investment in alternatives. All the other countries are doubling down and once again we are on track to be left behind. The only solution politicians have is war, war, and more war.  JMHO.

careful jonny... don't want the thread moved... :-X ;)

the press is having a field day with this, they LOVE to paint the Rs evil.  I personally think that the D's picked this fight for exactly this reason.  Their allies in the press make it all the more easier...

Personally, I don't think that religious organizations should be compelled to do things that go against their beliefs.  I'm not catholic, but I admire the fact that they stick up for what they believe in.  The constitution gives them that right.

If they can mandate that Catholic organizations (and other non-catholic religious groups) go along with this against their beliefs... what is to stop them from mandating that all dellis serve pork, violating Jewish kosher laws/beliefs?  Or forbid the wearing of face veils, in violation of some islamic beliefs?

I for one take the constitution seriously, especially the bill of rights.

I take offense tot he whole Obamacare mandate in general... but if they can pass it, and it becomes law of the land... so be it.  There are lots of laws I don't agree with, but have to abide by anyways.

But to force religious organizations to violate their long held beliefs, violating the 1st amendment?  That I can't go along with. If BC is such a big issue for some people, find work elsewhere.  Maybe if they have a hard time finding people willing to work for them with the HC they provide... maybe then they'll change their beliefs.  I wouldn't hold my breath, after 2000 years of an infallible belief, it will not change.  But the government can not force them to change their religious beliefs.

unfortunately, with as long as it takes to do anything, by the time any efforts launched NOW take effect, the price will have dropped back down, and it is not profitable...

Then naysayers can say "see, I told you so, alt fuels can't compete"...

My dad has a saying when people ask "when is the best time to plant trees"... (spring or fall) he would respond "20 years ago"...

People always ho hum on farms how trees grow so slow, that it takes so long to see any benefit from them.  If you use this logic to avoid planting trees, you will never have trees.  The same for investing for retirement.  The best time to save is 20 years ago!

If you build when prices are low, and the need is not there, when the prices do sky rocket and the need is high, you will be ready to reap the windfall of this fore-site...

This debate has been talked about since the early 70s in the alt fuel community... 4 years later, we're still preaching to deaf ears... >:(

It's all just Political theater anyways....  High Gas Prices is nothing more than Market Makers/ Speculators..there is no shortage of Oil ..so both sides if serious about actually lowering the prices would be to make changes in the Commodities/Futures Markets..  not in drilling not in algae etc..

As Far as Chu is concerned he is just pointing out the Reality...we wont ever get off of fossil fuels Until high prices force us off ..  Do the current high prices of Oil help the administration in it's vision of moving away from oil and bio fuels, flex fuel vehicles ,electric vehicles ,hybrids, solar , algae , geothermal etc..  absolutely

It isn't about "todays" prices but about the future..being prepared for when Oil really is in short supply..

This is the same thing GW Bush and the Republicans were talking about in 05,06 and 2007 when the Energy and Security Act was signed (Listen to the first 30 seconds of the Youtube video that James posted )..by both sides of the aisle ..and they were touting when Gas prices were over $4.00 a gallon in 2008

The attack on the current administration is about one thing .. Oil lobbying hard for the Keystone pipeline that Canadians themselves voted down ! (Canada didn't want the pipeline in their own backyard !)

If the Tar Sands Oil was for American Markets Canada would simply build their own refineries and then sell the Gasoline to American Markets.. but the reality is the Oil is meant for American Markets ..it needs to go to the Gulf of Mexico so it can be refined and then exported

Want to know what are biggest export is?  It's Gasoline!  This should tell you that BIG OIL wants to keep prices high by exporting excess supply.    Now that want to export even more by getting the Keystone pipeline - they sell this to the American people by disguising that the pipeline will mean more jobs - but at what price?