Sign in to follow this  
Bearcat

Converted my 88' Dodge Daytona Shelby Z to E85

Last year I had the idea to convert the car over and then found out how easy it was..and let me tell you the old Turbo Dodges are good candidates for this job!

1.reprogram the computer- easy to do and I now have a dual chip setup for both gas and E85

2. Larger injectors

3. larger fuel pump

just remember to replace the fuel filter after a couple of tankfuls and it should be fine and lines all cleaned. The only issue I would have is during winter time - E85 does not like to start up well without extra fuel or needs the tank warmed up. ;-)

I can say the car runs smoother under E85 and the exhaust smells good.

Mark

very cool!

sounds like a very good e85 project! do keep us informed on how this turns out.

Have you noticed the increased HP/torque and overall performance on e85?

What sort of pricing are you seeing on e85 in your area?

I can tell you the pricing in the area varies from $2.94 -$2.99

Also mileage has been in the low 40's and the power comes on very nicely, the engine does sound different and the exhaust smells sweet :-)  After a couple of tank fulls I should be able to give a better report.

Mark

Will be doing a software update to the programming, I believe the car is running too rich but I might have a vaccum leak as well..find one to fix the other or just fix both right? ;-)  Will post updates later after I swap out chipsets.

Bearcat

Looking forward to what you figure out. Just think, 1988----impossible according to the "experts". Would be interesting to hook it up to an exhaust gas analyzer and see what's coming out compared to today's engines.

Looking forward to what you figure out. Just think, 1988----impossible according to the "experts". Would be interesting to hook it up to an exhaust gas analyzer and see what's coming out compared to today's engines.

I wonder who I can talk too to get that done now that you mention that!

I live in the Cincinnati Area..

Having owned a Lebaron GTS turbo and Shadow ES turbo in the past, I love this!  Have you been letting the computer decide on what boost to run or have you put a bleed or boost controller of some kind on it and if so, how much boost is it running?  Are you still running the stock or a Mopar Performance fender mounted engine computer or have you gone to an aftermarket set up of some sort?  That little engine must run pretty good and a bunch cooler in the summer on the stuff too, especially if your summer are like ours in Chicago can be.

Having owned a Lebaron GTS turbo and Shadow ES turbo in the past, I love this!  Have you been letting the computer decide on what boost to run or have you put a bleed or boost controller of some kind on it and if so, how much boost is it running?  Are you still running the stock or a Mopar Performance fender mounted engine computer or have you gone to an aftermarket set up of some sort?  That little engine must run pretty good and a bunch cooler in the summer on the stuff too, especially if your summer are like ours in Chicago can be.

Talk to Rob at Boostbutton.com

He can configure a dual play chip for you so you can flip a switch and run either E-85 or  Gas at the boost level you set it up for.. so Yes the factory computer controls everything...  you also need to see what mods my engine had done w/ +40 injectors and a higher flowing fuel pump..

Thanks!  Sadly, my turbo cars are long gone now, gave the Shadow to JT from SDAC-Chicago in '03 after blowing the motor and never around to finishing the engine swap done on it before buying my Cherokee.  The Lebaron wouldn't start for me one day in June '03 (The more I think about, the more I think it was a jumped timing belt) and the body was so far gone that the car probably wasn't safe any more, so I bought the Jeep and that got scrapped in early '04 since nobody wanted it for parts.

Just over a year ago I bought a Chrysler 200 Touring with the Pentastar V-6 and that just so happened to be built in the same plant as the Lebaron and Shadow were!  Quite a few of us Pentastar owners have found those motors happily make more power as you put higher octane fuels, and then when you bump up to E85, they really wake up!