Sign in to follow this  
cessna

Honda S2000

erikphilips wrote

Converted my Honda S2000 to E85 at a tuners shop

I just looked up what that is since I never heard of it before. You should put a big E85 emblem on it----would be quite the advertising and attention getter. Nice looking car.

I'd love to see more of the high performance crowd getting into e85... as we (here) all know... there are so many more possibilities with this fuel then with gas... they would really get a lot out of it...

They may help set strait some of the anti-ethanol folks...

I think you would be surprised. There are quite a number of people I know who have high performance engines already converted to E85.  I was debating switching, but my tuner has been using it for 9 years plus without issue, so I thought ok well what the hell.  To be honest, the only thing I *needed* to do (from what my tuner told me) was to make sure my AFR was correct, so I dropped the stock ECU for an AEM EMS (6052 S2000 ECU Replacement) which was ~$1150.  Nothing else was modified to make E85 work. 

From what he told me, there are at least (he has tuned) 10 Suburu WRX STIs, 3 Mitsubishi EVOs, 3 Nissan R33, and event a Nissan GTR.  I know another person using it in his WRX and the tuner is using it in is his 1987 Buick Turbo Regal (T-Type V6).

I'm currently boosting my S2000 engine up to about 13PSI, but when I had it at 5psi, switching from Gas to E85 gave me a 25hp increase.  I'm sure it's much higher at the current 13PSI.  (Stock = 201 whp & 116 lb-ft, my Turbo is at 306 whp & 238 lb-ft).

Sounds like a neat project.  A little E85 can certainly wake up any performance oriented engine.  I suppose your tuner is right in that all you 'need' to do is change the AFR, though if your software has the means, there are many things you can alter for better E85 performance.  With my Hondata, I've been through a whole list of settings to make things more E85 compatible...cam advance and timing, ignition timing, air/water temperature correction for fuel, cold start fuel injection, injection timing, knock sensitivity, etc.

E85 is such a superior fuel, it really needs a clean sheet / custom designed engine to fully use all its properties.

My LS1 needs larger injectors to run E85 as well. They arent large enough to make up for the increased flow requirements. They need to be held open too long and you run into duty cycle issues, so larger injectors are part of the deal. It depends on how much room is available with the stock injectors, some engines are fine with just tuning changes, others need injectors. If the engine rarely sees more than 3000-4000 rpm you can often get by without swapping injectors.

Just for edification of my project I;

1. Replaced the stock ECU with the AME EMS 30-6052 Series 2 ECU (Specific to the S2000)

2. Added a Greddy Kit which included +1 Cooler Spark Plugs, 15psi Turbo, and an Intercooler.

3. Upgraded the Injectors to 750cc.

4. Upgraded to ultra light weight fly wheel (stock 13.5lbs to ~8lbs)

5. Upgraded the clutch to a Stage 4 6-puck ceramic clutch with pressure plate.

6. Replaced the Cat with a Berk 70mm High Flow Cat

7. Added Gauges: PSI, Oil Pressure, AFR.

8. Replaced the stock exhaust with a Greddy 70mm to dual 60mm exhaust (ETA 9/15/2011)

9. Upgraded my stock 16" 6.5" and 7.5" wheels to 17" 8" and 9" wheels (ETA 9/15/2011)

It's a beast right now without 8 or 9 (although I can spin the tires in 1st and 2nd  :-[ ).