Sign in to follow this  
man114

E85 vs. Gasoline Engine Deposits

Corrosive or not, anyone ever look at the mess gasoline leaves in terms of deposits in your engine? I was doing some work on my Grand Marquis, with 78k miles, and took the intake manifold off. My god what a mess of black caked on junk from gas in those intake ports. I don't see how that could possibly be better to run gas! Thats running name brand gasoline too and at relatively low milage. Interestingly you could see where the E85 had cleaned some of it away in the direct spray path of the injectors and how clean the actual intake chambers were from it from only a few thousand miles. Additionally all that other crap backfeeds through the EGR system and that is all caked in black soot too. Yuck. Thats on what probably is a better than average maintance job running top quality wires and plugs! Ever wondered why cars won't run good when they get older? I'm taking some pics of it for the heck of it. I'll clean it all up really clean again and try and run mostly E85 and if I ever tear it down again I'll see just how clean it is then. I doubt I'll run much gas in here in the future unless winter weather and hard starting make it prohibitive in the winter. Hopefully the F150, with only 20k miles on the rebuilt engine, fares better if I take it apart in the future. I'm sure I'll dig into these, if not for repairs for curiousity sake at the end of their useful lives, but I can't imagine that mess is better for the engine than E85.

Yes, I think you are hitting on another key benefit of ethanol which is often overlooked.  It's much cleaner burning in the engine, so things don't get gunked up as bad - which most likely leads to longer engine life and better efficiency throughout that life.

Here is the UOA thread of my freshly rebuilt engine which has only ever seen E85.  You certainly can't change the oil based on how it looks.  After 6K+ miles, still looked almost like it did when it went in.  The oil lab said it's probably good for 8K+ miles in a turbo engine!

The 'corrosion' is largely an oil company induced myth.  Except for a few metals which are hardly used in fuel systems anymore and unanodized aluminum which is pretty rare also - 'corrosion' due to ethanol is pretty much non existent  in modern fuel systems.  It certainly doesn't show up in the oil.

http://e85vehicles.com/e85/index.php/topic,5034.msg33753.html

the common myth/lie/legend that most dealerships/mechanics/idiots spread though is that "though you can use e85 in your new FFV... I wouldn't... it will slowly wear away at all the parts, and shorten the life of the engine/fuel system..."  I've been told this more times then I care to count...  Any attempts to point out how the opposite is true (it will actually prolong the life, prevent carbon, varnish and 'gunk' buildup... unlike gas) is met with eye rolling as if what I was saying was nothing but pro-ethanol propaganda...

so the Kool-aid drinking lemmings think that we are the ones that are being fooled.... ::) ::) ::):P

That is just plain ignorant.

I used to see/hear more about the "doubles your fuel consumption" myth back when everyone thought it was exactly like Methanol. Although I do see more people now saying you will lose 30% of your MPG.

And we used to have a Ford Windstar that had a huge pile of carbon gunk in the intake. Whenever I hear of another gunked IAC I know it was carbon buildup from crap Gasoline  :'(. I used to stick with name brands like Shell in my Ranger and it was fairly clean when I took apart the intake and examined the IAC, but I also didn't drive it like most people  :angel:.

I will be swapping heads on the latest 455 sometime next year. I plan to run it for a while with these 11:1 heads before I change them to the 13:1 heads. If there is any carbon build up on the pistons and valves I will be very surprised, since this engine will only see E85 and home brew HE100. Yes I plan to take lots of photos and post them for everyone to see in the car forums, as well as videos of it running, and displays of the power it produces.

My dad runs nothing but 10% in his trucks and he has much less buildup than the engines I have seen that ran nothing but E0, but it still isnt as clean as an E85/E100 engine.