Sign in to follow this  
swidman

2006 Dodge RAM 1500 FFV

In the last half of 2006 Dodge made quite a few 4.7litre engines for their Dodge RAM SLT 4x4 (and may standard 2 wheel drive) pickups. I'm about 50% through my first tank of E85. I've had awesome luck with dodge RAM pickups (get 70k plus never into the shop and get a new one). The reason I traded in my 2003 RAM was that this 2006 model was FFV capable. I was wondering if there are any FFV Dodge Ram owners out there who could comment on how its been going for them? Dodge has been in the FFV engine design for quite awhile. I'd like to hear from RAM owners. Thanks.

Scott

Scott- I hope others who have 2006 Dodge Ram FFV's will post, I do not have one but am very interested in your mileage and operability results since I operate several E85 stations. I am asked almost daily by consumers which is the best FFV to buy. You are right about Dodge's experience with ethanol- one of my customers is a retired Chrysler engineer who started testing their engines on it in the first (70's) oil embargo and has kept using it (now in his self tuned FFV Suburban).

I just filled up with E85 which means I will now have a 100% tank full. When I filled up with the first tank and then checked my mileage it was about 6 gallons of gas and 20 gallons of E85. My mileage on the mix was about 13.66 miles per gallon city/highway driving. So, I think in the next day or two I will have a mileage reading on 100% E85. In minnesota I paid 1.67 per gallon. Unleaded was 2.09 Truck was running great on E85 so I am interested with the results once I get a full tank through. Will post results.

I just filled up with E85 which means I will now have a 100% tank full. When I filled up with the first tank and then checked my mileage it was about 6 gallons of gas and 20 gallons of E85. My mileage on the mix was about 13.66 miles per gallon city/highway driving. So, I think in the next day or two I will have a mileage reading on 100% E85. In minnesota I paid 1.67 per gallon. Unleaded was 2.09 Truck was running great on E85 so I am interested with the results once I get a full tank through. Will post results.

Hey swidman ...which station did you fill up at ?  E85 is $1.78 in St Cloud ..

Holiday on Hwy 10 and Foley in Coon Rapids. Most Stations in the TC are 1.67 to 1.70 as of yesterday.

Great thanks.. I'm keeping track of Prices around the Nation over at E85Prices.com ..I'll add it over there reported by "swidman"  $1.67 that is the lowest reported in the Nation !  Perryville Mo is usually the lowest ..they are owned by MFA OIL and supplied by Mid Missouri Ethanol.

In Minnesota I'm really happy to see a larger retailer like Holiday being pricing so competitively..I need to find out their relationship with the Ethanol plants..  They must be making some strong relationships ands working direclty with the ethanol plants

just put my first full tank of E85 through my RAM 4.7 Litre Quad Cab. Bad day to do so as I drove into the wind (15-25 mph with gusts) for the first part of my drive, and then had it it 4 Wheel drive on the way back most of the time. Having a nice snow storm in Minnesota today! But, I wanted to get a good reading off of a full tank. I ended up getting 13.336 miles per gallon and based on conditions I am extremely happy with that mileage. Its a new truck and on the few tanks I've run through it on unleaded I was getting 15-18 mpg in exceptional weather. So, I'm liken this E85 thing. Truck ran great!! Stories I've heard on crappy starting etc. All BS! Truck ran great!!!! I'm not saying I will run E85 all the time. But I will a LOT of the time.

just put my first full tank of E85 through my RAM 4.7 Litre Quad Cab. Bad day to do so as I drove into the wind (15-25 mph with gusts) for the first part of my drive, and then had it it 4 Wheel drive on the way back most of the time. Having a nice snow storm in Minnesota today! But, I wanted to get a good reading off of a full tank. I ended up getting 13.336 miles per gallon and based on conditions I am extremely happy with that mileage. Its a new truck and on the few tanks I've run through it on unleaded I was getting 15-18 mpg in exceptional weather. So, I'm liken this E85 thing. Truck ran great!! Stories I've heard on crappy starting etc. All BS! Truck ran great!!!! I'm not saying I will run E85 all the time. But I will a LOT of the time.

Good to hear swidman ..as long as E85 is 40 cents less gallon milegae wont be a major issue

The storm just missed us ..we got less than 2 inches of snow..fine by me

Great Swidman- keep us posted on mpg's as I am curious how the mileage will shake out after a couple of tanks and the long term trim is in full effect. Starting/ drivability will be of interest too. Do you feel a modest hp increase (3-5%)???

Didn't really feel any "HP" improvment but I don't fun heavy on the gas either. I did kick it down a few times just to see if any changes, and it ran great! I did pull 3 people out of the ditch(s) on my way back driving in the snow storm around Waconia and Chaska, and truck seemed get it going real good. My only concern now is the better understand if any "long term" effects of running E85 a lot. I'm thinking not from what my research tells me.