Sign in to follow this  
rusty70f100

Lets go on the offensive!

That is my point - you can lobby government all you want, but many people are opposed to having government shove yet another thing down their throat.  If they see cars making more power and higher mileage than what they can get on gas, then suddenly they will want it regardless.  If you remember ~ a decade ago, there was a huge uproar because Microsoft included Internet Explorer as a 'mandatory' browser and made it hard to remove.  They finally removed it and made it optional, suddenly IE had 95% market for a while with no complaints at all.

I know there have been a few 'special' / show / concept cars for E85, a $50K Saab, etc.  I'm talking about a $17K entry level car with a true E85 engine which blows the socks off it's gas counterpart.  Something the average joe can buy at the local dealership and actually experience a performance boost from E85.

That is my point - you can lobby government all you want, but many people are opposed to having government shove yet another thing down their throat.  If they see cars making more power and higher mileage than what they can get on gas, then suddenly they will want it regardless.  If you remember ~ a decade ago, there was a huge uproar because Microsoft included Internet Explorer as a 'mandatory' browser and made it hard to remove.  They finally removed it and made it optional, suddenly IE had 95% market for a while with no complaints at all.

I know there have been a few 'special' / show / concept cars for E85, a $50K Saab, etc.  I'm talking about a $17K entry level car with a true E85 engine which blows the socks off it's gas counterpart.  Something the average joe can buy at the local dealership and actually experience a performance boost from E85.

I remember that, even though that was a few of years ago now. Now that IE has some real competition it's numbers have dwindled significantly.

If only such a car existed Corey. But for $17k it would have to be a compact, 4 cylinder, FWD, bare necessity, sporty car based on another platform. For $20k I could imagine some possibilities but I would have to build it myself to make it happen  :-\. I imagine a turbo would be necessary to make this car potent enough.

Yep, the lesson I see from that is - find anything popular and I can almost guarantee it's not government mandated. In fact, most likely the opposite is true - it will be unfavorable simply because it is mandated.

Well, I said $17k, you said $20 - not too much difference - but the point is bring a car to market which the general public / kids / young drivers can actually afford, with a true ethanol engine, and let people see what it can do.  Honda built the 1G Insight, totally new hybrid car, aluminum frame, composite body, very light weight with a massive amount of 'new' engineering (for the time) and brought it to market at the $20k price point.  Reportedly at a loss, but they got the model out to the public and started getting vital feedback about real world / real life performance.  If Honda can do that, surely most any car company could use an existing small car platform, add a new ethanol engine and ECU and get it out on the market.

well said!

I see a lot of "Dodge Calibers" out on the road now with the younger generation... they have a sporty look, and some of the kids really have them decked out with the aftermarket products...

A car like this with a small ethanol turbo engine, aggressive ecu tuning... would really be a popular one with the "speed racer" crowd as I like to call them...

As I and several other have said, If a OEM built a engine to run on E85, but would accept E10/E0, mileage and performance would be outstanding.

My little lady's new Cruze has a very impressive 1.4L turbo engine that is not approved by GM to run on anything over E10. If we had Blender Pumps around here it would get a dose of E30 and then up to whatever it could handle without a CEL. Easily we could bolt on some components to accept E85, but the general public will not. OEMs need to take the step and give the public more options for FFV's. It won't come from mandates from our government. They are too busy handing checks out to their lobbyist friends.

I say cut all the funding and subsidies and let the strong survive. You take away what oil gets and what agriculture gets and I firmly believe the Ag sector will win and get enough feed stock to supply the Ethanol Industry and keep food on the table yet keeping the market steady and reasonable. The ethanol Industry can then be in control of their own destiny by contracting with the agri business to supply them instead of the government telling them what, where and when to grow. There is too much speculation and forcasting on crops that effect prices. Nobody knows the yields in the field ahead of time. Quit estimating,  guessing and driving the markets on speculation. In a few weeks when harvest starts, we will know what kind of corn crop we have no matter what the drought, floods or hail stripped fields are speculating.

I'm done ranting for now!

Here's a way... start supporting and spreading the word about the Freedom film. Attend a screaning and pass the word.  Exposes heavily subsidized oil racket and gets the truth out abour American made e85.  Check out the freedom bus which has been converted to flex fuel using a ffi kit.  I will be at the Moline IL showing next month. Show up and ask questions about converting. 

http://www.thefreedomfilm.com

Latest Blog Post... The Freedom Film Fuels Hope...

I have been preaching energy independence for years by way of American made E85 Ethanol. I decided to make the 3 hour drive to Moline Illinois to see what The Freedom Film was all about. I was there no more than 5 Minutes standing in the Freedom Bus before I realized that this grass roots effort is starting to take hold. The Freedom Bus is an awe inspiring machine that does not use 1 drop of foreign oil. This 8 cylinder monster was converted to flex fuel and uses E85. Solar Panels power LED lights and screens throughout. Tour captain Boise Thomas is quick to answer any questions about the bus.

The Freedom Film

Josh and Rebecca Tickell have done an excellent job exposing the constant misleading attacks against Ethanol and shows the audience why we need to embrace Ethanol blends like E85. The Freedom Film gives its audience a sense of direction along with ammunition to fight the “drill baby drill” big oil supporters. By the end of the film I can sense the excitement of the audience and a willingness to do their part in this American Made Fuel movement.

I urge all to visit The Freedom Film website and find a screening near you. Set yourself free and be part of the American made, Job creating future. http://thefreedomfilm.com/

Jonny Energy has been upgrading vehicles to flex fuel for many years.

Learn more about using American made E85 in your existing vehicle. http://www.jonnyenergy.com

http://jonnyenergy.com/blog/2011/09/23/the-freedom-film-fuels-hope/

They had a screening of this film in Lincoln (at the beautiful downtown "roccoco theater")...  Didn't make it, and haven't heard anything about it's reception.

This theater is not far at all from the downtown University of Nebraska main campus on Sept. 15th.  I hope some of those environmental and politically active folks there got to see it and had their eyes opened.  There was a bit about it on the NE Ethanol board.... but that mysteriously disappeared  :sorry:

Is it possible that they (NEB) are against the pushing of e85 as an alternative fuel?  Why was this removed?  They always leave older announcements up there...

The Sept. 16th screening in Omaha was totally un announced and I was not aware of it...  may have made it to that... HAD I KNOWN! :41: