Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

New Fuel MPG requirements

Dan, I think you missed this part:

Some of our cars are more than 10 years old, and we can compete with newer ones. Example: Last weekend we were on a 500 mile trip with a 2000 Intrepid with 2.7 engine. 3 people on board, fully loaded with camping gear, A/C on all the time. 27.28 mpg (E70), going anywhere between 65 and 70 mph, with the cruise control turned on of course.

My sister has a Honda Civic, at least 10 years old and gets over 30 mpg highway. It's the models between then and now, where HP seemed much more important, gas was cheap, and mileage suffered.

I was just mentioning as there are other solutions.

Our Intrepid gets a little over 32 mpg on fossil fuel. It is a larger vehicle, larger engine, and paid for.

Why spend ten-thounsands of dollars for a new vehicle which is supposedly "more efficient"?

These "newer" vehicles might fit people who are in the market for a new vehicle.

All our vehicles are paid for. I take the money I save for buying a new one and pay for the little mpg loss I have vs. a newer vehicle.

Greetings!

I was just mentioning as there are other solutions.

Our Intrepid gets a little over 32 mpg on fossil fuel. It is a larger vehicle, larger engine, and paid for.

Why spend ten-thounsands of dollars for a new vehicle which is supposedly "more efficient"?

These "newer" vehicles might fit people who are in the market for a new vehicle.

All our vehicles are paid for. I take the money I save for buying a new one and pay for the little mpg loss I have vs. a newer vehicle.

Greetings!

Well that's it BG..yeah really no point for YOU to be buying a new car ... but for those that are new MPG are not a "joke" ...The ford Fusion hybrid gets 36 hyw  and 43 City !    43 MPG in the City can your Intrepid do that lol

The Hyundai Elantra Mid Size Sedan 30 MPG CITY and 40 Hwy.they are getting what you get HWY in the Intrepid..

The Honda Civic 44 MPG CITY..44 Highway

The Chevy Cruze 28 City /42 Highway

and another 6 smaller cars getting 40 MPG

So the MPG requirements are working..and the latest round requires 54.5 MPG  by 2025..that's a COMBINED City/Highway ..so you can bet we will see lots of cars getting 60-70 MPG highway by then..again that's not a  "joke" thats incredibly exciting and meaningful .. 

Most cars will probably be a hybrid of sorts Combustion and electric.. that's the easiest way to get the MPGs up ..  Consider the Ford Fusion Hybrid that you can buy today ..gets 43 Miles per Gallon in the CITY ..in the CITY ..that's pretty darn cool. ..now move ahead 10 years ..that Fusion will be getting 50-60 MPG City and I'll be telling you how Cool it is that Our past Leaders requirement that the Auto Industry increase MPGS that made that happen

..and you know what you will be telling us ?

Those MPG requirements are a Joke ... my 2012 Ford Fusion gets 44 MPG loaded down with Camping gear , 3 people , Ac going and running E70  ;D

Chevy Cruze Eco - 1.4L turbo 138hp @4900RPM, 148 lb/ft TQ @ 1850RPM

This thing is cruising around at full torque range to get great mileage compared with the standard Chevy 1.8L 125 lb/ft at 3800RPM or the Honda Civic 1.8L 128 lb/ft at 4300 RPM and pulling hills the Honda downsifted frequently. The Cruze pulls the same hills in overdrive with no problem. With the Cruze's 6 speed transmission the only technology lacking is flex fuel. Once blender pumps show up around Omaha a 20 - 30% E blend should increase the torque values a bit more to increase mileage? 42MPG highway should be realistic. We'll see!

I've know  that when using e85 in FFVs, that they develop more torque, and heard that mileage improvements would be gained if the computer was tuned to shift differently, taking advantage of this increased torque when using e85...

I'd think that this would be worth some university level (in the mid-west where states/state universities care about ethanol)... to develop a flash program for "ethanol optimized automatic transmission shifting" (EOATS for short)...  Seriously, I could see engineers developing this, and making a very marketable product.  Not to mention flash programming for optimizing the engine for e85...

I'd like to see Growth Energy and other large ethanol industry lobby groups funding such grants, if the federal government (DOE) doesn't want to...

I've heard of dealerships offering tunes for E85 in Australia, I believe. It was Oz or Sweden, I'm not completely certain :-[.

The engine control unit is independent of the transmission controls BTW. Automatics tend to be setup for fuel economy from the factory. It's the ECU tune alone that can really improve fuel economy and power.

I was just curious if the higher torque that e85 puts out is being taken advantage of by the transmissions on FFVs?  My Fusion has a 6 speed transmission, and didn't know if it was shifting at the same spot with ethanol as gas.

As for the ECU tunes for e85... I've talked to Steeda and several other companies... and most don't even bother to reply back, or they inform me that they don't have a program that does what I'm looking for... (increased efficiency of FFV to optimize for ethanol over factory tune that is more optimized for gas)

If your ECU is programmed to reduce spark retard with a higher octane than it would likely tolerate a higher load in OD. But I don't know for a fact.

And you have to ask for an E85 "torque tune." A torque tune essentially increases torque at a lower RPM/part throttle so you can hold a taller gear longer. Some of the tuners guys don't believe in advertising a MPG tune, even calling it a scam to say it increases MPG.

You will likely need to find a local "E85" tuner to see about getting a tune. I can't help you there. But for Fords try the Mustang guys, they would likely know somebody that does E85 tunes for Ford engines or could help you find someone local that does.