Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

New Fuel MPG requirements

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- President Obama plans to announce an agreement tomorrow on a new round of fuel economy standards for cars and trucks that would require mileage gains through the year 2025.

The proposal is expected to call for all passenger vehicles sold in 2025, combined, to average 54.5 miles per gallon, or nearly double the current figure. They'd ramp up to that level over seven years, starting in 2017 when current rules end.

IN 2025 well all be complaining about our older Gas Hogs that only get 40mpg ;D

[/size]Going to be interesting to see what new technologies come out of this ...the combustion engine is what ..20% efficient with 80% being wasted heat..something like that ..

Probably see more of the smalll stuff technologies as well..the front dams that close at highway speed..the "underskirts"..those sheets of plastic material under the car that keep air moving under the vehicle

I already believe that anything under 30MPG is a gas hog  :laugh:. But I don't consider EPA mileage except as a vaguely relevant number.

BTW that number is for vehicles driven on the road day to day. Oversized engines and such at low throttles, estimated too.

And electric cars get closer to 75%, where did you hear 35%?  ???

Hmmm.. Obama wanting to stick industry(and us) with rules that going into effect a year after he is OUT of office.  Typical Washington behavior.  Looks like he is 'kicking the can down the road'.

Hmmm.. Obama wanting to stick industry(and us) with rules that going into effect a year after he is OUT of office.  Typical Washington behavior.  Looks like he is 'kicking the can down the road'.

Umm This is the 2nd MPG requirement under Obama..the first covers 2012-2016..the Avg by 2016 35MPG..  (which is why you now see all these Auto Adds touting 32-40 mpg)

the second round that just happened requires by  2025..54 MPG

The only thing Obama is kicking is the Auto Industry into high gear on MPG

I think the whole MPG talk here is a big joke.

Simple physics define basics regarding fuel mileage, starting with the size of engine and size of vehicle, and immediately after how it is driven of course.

Since there is (and will be) a continuous lack of efficiency in these areas, hardly anyone will reach the peaks of top fuel efficiency. Others can reach quite impressive results.

Some of our cars are more than 10 years old, and we can compete with newer ones. Example: Last weekend we were on a 500 mile trip with a 2000 Intrepid with 2.7 engine. 3 people on board, fully loaded with camping gear, A/C on all the time. 27.28 mpg (E70), going anywhere between 65 and 70 mph, with the cruise control turned on of course.

When I say "compete", I mean: bigger engine, bigger car, more space, and the car is paid for! Did I mention the Ethanol factor?

Greetings!

I think the whole MPG talk here is a big joke.

Are you drinking your ethanol ?  ;D

Look at the difference in MPG for 2012 Models .. Trucks ..Larger Engines(2.9L) getting 25 Hwy Compared to 2002 when the Only trucks that could get  25 MPG were 2.2L Rangers/S10's

Family Sedans in 2002 there was 1 vehicle that could get better than 25 MPG combined ..in 2012 there are around 10 !

Even your Intrepid added the 2.7  to increase MPG at the time ..you wont get 27mpg in the 3.5L !

MPG is HUGE ..even more so if the combustion engine is going to compete with electric cars..electric cars are expensive to buy right now but prices will drop significantly over the next 10 years .. right now in Minnesota I can drive a Nissan Leaf for 80 city miles for about $1.75- $2 in electricity costs.. the same gas/e85 would be 3.6 gallons x $3.25 for E85 is $11.7.

So MPG is going to be "everything" as electric car prices fall that reality will quickly make the switch to electric very viable.. Increasing MPG on the combustion engine is extremely important.. 

Bigger Engines in the Trucks in 2012 getting same better MPG than Smaller Truck engines in 2002

post-1-138947093155_thumb.jpg

post-1-138947093158_thumb.jpg

And we're seeing more cars that get 40MPG with current safety standards  8).

CAFE is not a real world representation of MPG anyway. Just like the EPA test cycle is not a good indicator of real world MPG.

I think somebody said it right when they said something along the lines of "laws for cars, written by people that don't drive."  :mad:

And we're seeing more cars that get 40MPG with current safety standards  8) .

CAFE is not a real world representation of MPG anyway. Just like the EPA test cycle is not a good indicator of real world MPG.

I think somebody said it right when they said something along the lines of "laws for cars, written by people that don't drive."  :mad:

agreed real world MPG is always different..same applies "back in the good old days " just as it does now  though..

The important part (IMO) is that we continue to press for higher MPGs ..that the numbers keep going higher to reduce our need or slow the rate of our need for all fuels

I just disagree with BG that higher MPGs requirements are a "joke"

e

We cant be bitching about the price of fuels and be dismissive of raising the MPG requirements in the same breath.. I guess is my point..

Although as Americans we seem to be able to do both without blinking a eye  ;D  Damn Oil Companies pushing gas gas prices high again..rant rant rant ..inhale ..damn gov telling the auto Industy to make higher MPG vehicles.  ;D