Sign in to follow this  
AzDragonLord

e85 prices not droppng

While gasoline prices are dropping around me, e85 prices are not. Since I now drive my FFV truck over 100 miles daily for my new job, I may have to switch to gasoline to shave costs.  Sad times indeed.  :(

Just keep in mind this could be one of those "pay me now or pay me later moments". E85 is a cleaner fuel. If you go back to the fossil fuel you may begin the build up of nasty deposits in your engine.

I've thought the same thing recently of switching back, however the benefits of the E85 outweigh the lower price of the dirty fuels. I recently changed the oil in my 5.3L bowtie engine. Seems a waste to throw away clean looking oil? Just think of what else that gunk is doing to that engine on the valves. Build up in the valve train creates extra heat and excess heat is the root of all evil in a engine.

AZ Absolutely go back to using Gasoline if you are just getting a 4% spread.. Look if everyone buys at low spreads than that is what we will continue to see..

If you buy at low spreads then they have no incentive to widen the spread

AZ - too bad to hear about the spreads.  But that is the beauty of flex fuel - you're free to choose which ever fuel you want.  E85 has a lot of benefits which make it 'worth' a little more to me, but everyone will have their tipping point.

.... E85 is a cleaner fuel. If you go back to the fossil fuel you may begin the build up of nasty deposits in your engine.

...Seems a waste to throw away clean looking oil? Just think of what else that gunk is doing to that engine on the valves. ...

While it is a waste to throw away clean oil, there is a difference between 'clean' and 'clean looking'.  E85 won't soot everything up like dino-sludge.  Though the oil additives package can be used up in a similar time.  It would see roughly the same amount of viscosity break-down and oxidation.  This is especially true for the additives which fight oil acidity as E85 tends to make more formic and acetic acid than gas.  The oil can 'look' perfectly fine, but you'd need a used oil analysis to know if the additives are used up and if it's ready for a change.  One key measurement is the 'TBN' or Total Base Number which shows the oil's ability to fight acid.  When it gets low, definitely time for a change.

Just went to $3.29 here in St Cloud today..13% spread...Most Stations if they haven't already will see E85 rise this week..

I'd like to extend a Special Thanks to the Corn Lobby for pushing E10-E15 and forcing E85 prices higher... >:(

I don't know how else to say it.. Screw E10 ..  all it is a money maker for the Corn Lobby

where we have a 10-15cent lower price for e10 (sup unl) below e0 (reg unl)... I'd like to see this go away...

If the price for e10 was the same then maybe few people would buy it... and it would cause the price of ethanol to lower some, I'd like to see some equilibrium price met...

with the mandate, VEETC... there is no free flowing market.  The market is so totally out of whack...

Standard supply and demand... if the price gets too high... consumers demand less, so the price will lower.  If Producers aren't making enough money at too low of prices... they don't produce as much... so prices go up...  the two meet when an equilibrium price is met where both producers and consumers are content with the price...

The current market is NOT going by these laws of economics. >:(

Just hope e85 prices hold out through the end of July... I'd hate to have them go up just before my trip (in the not to MPG friendly minivan) to Chi-town...  (again knocking on wood :-[ ::))

So, to they have a "plug pulling" deadline for VEETC?  Just wondering how long this "dash for the cash" will be going on?

I have so many e85 station choices, most of which are always VERY well priced...  I figure that IF (God forbid) even Kum & Go, and Bucky's (two best priced outlets in the region) had very low price spreads... then that means it was because they had no choice... not because they were gouging.

I've committed myself to buy e85 as long as they are still selling it, no matter the price.  It is the right thing to do.  I would like to continue to reward those stations that have committed themselves to e85 and have always done well by me with their prices in the past.  They've been loyal and honest by me, so I could do the same by them.

For those in regions that have price gougers a plenty (AZ, TX, FL, Chicago...) I would think a boycott (possibly organized and made public for shame's sake through the media...) would be understandable!