Sign in to follow this  
man114

Converted two in the last month

Converted my 97 Grand Marquis and 01 F150. I bought the kits from change2e85.com, was looking for used/old kits as I was trying to do this as cheaply as possible. David provided what I needed and was fairly prompt about responding to what I needed. Installation was simple enough but I've worked on cars before. F150, a V6, went without a hitch so far.

Grand Marquis threw a check engine light, after a long trip at that. I dialed it up one notch on the converter. However I can't recall when I last changed the fuel filter so I changed it, then dialed it back down a bit so we'll see what happens. Could very well be the filter, it felt heavy when I changed it. I've had to key it twice to start it on E85. Fuel economy however was minimally different, 16 vs 17ish. I have a K&N in there and Bosch platinum 4 plugs.

Mainly did the conversion for the high octane as the GM has always pinged under load.

Grand Marquis is at just over 76k, the F150 is at like 43k. I tend to have lots of weirdly low milage vehicles for the given model year. My 83 Grand Marquis has like 80k miles. My 88 Aerostar around 85k.

I should state that I've had lean CELs on the Grand Marquis before I put this thing in that were related to the MAF sensor. I elected to clean the sensor as opposed to replacing it. When it threw the CEL after the kit I intially dialed it up a notch as Dave recommended, but changed the gas filter today (can't even remember when I last did it, might have been around 40k), and dialed it back  3/4 of a notch. If it throws the CEL again I'll turn it up to 1/2 of a turn. I cleaned the MAF again, I was driving through a very dusty construction sight sometime between the time I installed it and now.

Other than that it has fun fine and so has the truck. Again my main reason for getting this is the GM has always pinged. Always. Its annoying as heck. With the Ehtanol, no ping.

I may pick up 02 sensor when I get my next fillup. I've driven the Grand Marquis mostly. My wife has driven the F150 mostly, but says it has more power, I'll check the fuel economy on that one after fillup. I have one of those Actron Superscanners and check the data from time to time, still seems fairly well within the range of normal but who knows. I'll change it anyway its not too epxensive. Of the 4 or 5 local E85 stations (not really local, most are quite a distance) The place that sells E85 cheapest is right near a cheap autoparts store and is also the closest station to me (and fairly easily incorporated into some of my regular jaunts).

The computer resets while I tried to adjust to optimum performance without the check engine light, have had the fuel economy all over the board, from a low of 14.36 (this was when I replaced the fuel filter so I lost a bit of fuel there, I also got stuck in construction with extended idling) up to 16.38 (mostly straight without a lot of stop and go). I'm sure it will balance out eventually. This fuel economy technically isn't too bad, my normal range in the past year is only 17-19 in this car, best I've ever seen is maybe 21 on an extended straight highway run which I rarely do (I checked my log, I write it down every couple of fillups, if I notice a continued drop something might be up). I do run a K&N filter, Bosch Platinum 4 plugs and Taylor wires in this one.

I'm not really concerned about fuel economy though I'd prefer if the overall costs at least are close to gas. Right now, due to New York's insane gas priced it is 57 cents a gallon less for E85 vs the cheapest non reservation gas station (which are as low as 3.36 and supposedly only use North American sourced oil, but are the opposite direction from where I go, not really worth the drive down there in the Grand Marquis I'd barely recoup the costs, the truck I could save substantially), regular runs about 3.85 maybe a low of 3.81.

If it hovers close to 60 cents difference I'm technically saving money but at a reduced range, and despite their size the Grand Marquis has a comparably small gas tank (20 gallon on the modern version, a mere 18 on the old version) for its fuel economy, my old Lebaron which on a good jaunt with its V6 could average as high as 30mpg had a 15 gallon gas tank and was much smaller, its cruising range could be as much as 100 miles more than the Grand Marquis when averaged out. All this equates to more frequent fillups.

I like the fact that it doesn't ping and has more power, however so I'd probably use it unless doing so becomes more expensive than running premium (which I'd have to use to keep the car from pinging) when factored out.