Sign in to follow this  
mr157ifhz

Ethanol in rotary?

silicon hoses do ok with methanol but rubber just gets consumed. i used to race circle track go karts(methonal powered) and we ran the outlaw class which was with tilletson which required an aftermarket tank with external fuel pumps n shit. rubber hoses would leave little chunks all in the carbs which eventually led to a few lost races b4 we realized the problems. we switched to silicon see through's and they never gave any problem. we had to run regular like 93 through the carb and tank to clear the methonal out after every race due to the breakdown process on gaskets that the methanol produced. just a lil info on the hoses. also- read your owners manuals about the fuel. it says somethin about 10% ethonal in there somewhere- i read it today.

Not an expert BTW. I don't know of any Rotary specific problems with Ethanol but the early years, '04-'05, had inadequate oiling systems and were prone to oil pump clogging or premature failure from lack of oil. They do not appreciate running without engine oil, it's absolutely necessary for the apex seals. The easiest solution is pre-mix to prevent an issue, but you could just as well check the state of the oil pumps and maintain proper engine oil levels.

IMHO the Rotary lends itself to Ethanol simply because it prefers to run rich. I don't know if it is specifically because the combustion chamber is so wide or what but