Sign in to follow this  
gachicklette

Alternative Fuel Tag

I switched to e85 in April 2011 and was so excited to receive the new tag for my truck! It has really helped my commute to be able to ride in the HOV lanes on 85.

I saw where the onetime specialty tag fee has now become an annual fee ($35) and I am wondering if anyone else is considering surrendering their alternative fuel tag for a standard one?

I also read that to receive a PeachPass you have to deposit $20 when opening an account.  I am not sure if that will apply to alternative fuel vehicles since we will still be able to cruise the dedicated toll lane for free (if you have the AF tag) but I will not be happy if Georgia wants to hold my $20 ransom... and collect an additional $35 annually.

I am just wondering if I am alone in my thinking and am willing to get involved with any groups who are active in promoting e85.

If you have the Alternative Fuel tag, Absolutely! Here's a link to the form:

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/forms/motor.aspx

They warned me to keep my receipts up to three years in case they decide to "audit" my purchases but said it would probably never happen.  Jic I've been keeping them anyways.  You have to run the alternative fuel 85% of the time in order to qualify for the tag. 

This is one of the main reasons I decided to switch to e85 only. 

Also, once the HOV lane on 85 switches to the toll lane, you can still ride for free but will have to have a PeachPass in addition to the AF tag. 

313_.pdf

That doesn't fly in MN, 'eh Dan?

Still looking so far came up with..

"Special Fuel Eligibility.  Several states allow hybrid or alternative fuel vehicles to use HOV facilities.  In Arizona, owners of select hybrid vehicles may apply for special license plates that allow them to use HOV lanes.  In California, owners of select hybrid vehicles were allowed to apply for license plate decals that allow them to use HOV lanes until 2011, capped at 85,000 decals (all 85,000 decals have been assigned).  In Colorado, owners of select alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles may apply for license plate decals and transponders that allow them to use HOT lanes with no fee, capped at 2,000 (the cap has not yet been reached).  In Florida, owners of select hybrid vehicles may apply for license plate decals that allow them to use HOV lanes.  In New Jersey, drivers of select hybrid vehicles are allowed to use the Turnpike’s HOV lanes.  In New York, owners of select hybrid vehicles may apply for license plate stickers that allow them to use the Long Island Expressway’s HOV lanes.  In Tennessee, owners of select hybrid vehicles will be able to apply for license plate decals that allow them to use HOV lanes starting in January 2009.  In Utah, owners of select hybrid vehicles may apply for special license plates that allow them to use HOV lanes until December 2010.  In Virginia, owners of select hybrid vehicles may apply for special license plates that allow them to use most HOV lanes in the state (except I-95/I-395 during weekday peak periods).[/size]Similar hybrid vehicle HOV legislation is currently being considered or has recently been considered in Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Texas, and Washington State."

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/fhwahop09029/sec2_operational.htm

Anyway..great incentive for those States that do offer it.

http://go.ucsusa.org/hybridcenter/incentives.cfm#MN

Minnesota

Hybrid HOV and Toll Exemption (bill): HF 1956 would allow a single-occupant, hybrid vehicle to use any high-occupancy vehicle lane and be exempt from paying tolls, other than at toll bridges, on the trunk highway system. Decals identifying the vehicle as a hybrid would cost $15. The program would expire 06/30/11. Introduced and referred to Transportation and Transit Policy and Oversight Division 03/19/09.

Hybrid HOV and Dynamic Shoulder Lane Access (bill): HF 1761 would allow a single-occupant, hybrid vehicle to use any high-occupancy vehicle lane or dynamic shoulder lane on the trunk highway system, regardless of occupancy requirements established for other vehicles. A user fee collection device required for single-occupant operators would be provided without charge. Introduced and referred to Transportation and Transit Policy and Oversight Division 03/16/09.

Hybrid HOV (bill): HF 1243 and SF 1536 would authorize single occupant hybrid vehicles to travel on high-occupancy vehicle lanes and toll collection. A decal identifying the vehicle as a hybrid for $15 would be required. SF introduced 3/10/05 and HF introduced 2/22/05. Amended and passed Senate Transportation Committee 4/4/05 (adding sunset provision in 2007) and House Transportation Committee 4/6/05. Passed by Senate 5/23/05. Received by House 3/1/06. Did not become law in 84th legislative session.

Sales Tax Exemption (bill): HF 1171 and SF 1227 would exempt certain hybrids from motor vehicle sales tax. The bill also defines fuel-efficient vehicles by weight class and mileage ratings. HF introduced on 2/21/05 and SF introduced 2/24/05. Did not become law in 84th legislative session.