Sign in to follow this  
HuskerFlex

US House members introduce Open Fuel Standard Act

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2011/05/ofs-20110504.html#more

US House members introduce Open Fuel Standard Act

...Open Fuel Standard (OFS) Act (HR 1687).

The OFS would require that 50% of new automobiles in 2014, 80% in 2016, and 95% in 2017, would be warranted to operate on non-petroleum fuels in addition to or instead of petroleum-based fuels. Compliance possibilities include the full array of existing technologies...

**************************************************************************************************

This bi-partisan bill sound pretty good... basically tells the big 3 in Detroit... "we like what you are doing, lets do more..." and tells the other foreign based automakers... "hey, why aren't you doing this?"

Any predictions on how this bill will meet its fate?

If it goes through great. Then legislation needs to be introduced to fill these FFV with alternate fuel. Let's see a bill or act introduced to add blender pumps in any new fuel station or install blender pumps in all stations by 2017.

The House is now controlled by ®'s. 

®'s support big oil, not farmers. 

It's dead on arrival.

I'd like to note that 2 of the 4 sponsors of the bill are republicans! 

Also worth noting that a LOT of these house republicans are from corn/ethanol states...

I'd hate to imagine the fate of any politician from the Midwest (regardless of political affiliation) if they voted AGAINST such a bill...

With the rapid expansion of natural gas exploration and extraction across the country... I'd think that many of THESE state's representatives would be under some pressure to increase the use of CNG for autos....

I'm a bit more optimistic... could be proven wrong.

are ANY of the current FFV coming off of assembly lines (nearing the 50% point for GM, Ford and Chrysler) capable of running M85?  I know that this was an option back in the 90s with the very first FFVs (ford Taurus)... buy has this capability gone by the wayside as m85 disappeared from the marketplace?  ( think that I may have asked this before, but not quite sure if we came up with a consensus answer)...

My gut feeling is that the m85 was MEANT to be added as yet another option, ethanol, methanol, CNG, LPG, hydrogen, electric...  though the wording doesn't match my assumption.

I have seen 6 or 7 Flex Fuel Vehicle Bills proposed the last 5-6 years and seems like they all had M85 ..  That would indeed raise the cost of making FFVs because Methanol is very corrosive unlike ethanol.

I think they just copy and paste M85 from an old bill FFV bill on to each new FFV bill without really understanding how that would raise costs and that no one drives on Methanol..not enough to make it a requirement anyways.

Twitter this thread to your Senators and to Senators that are Sponsoring the Bill..they should be made aware ..drop the M85 and make the FFV requirement a bit more palatable to the Auto Industry..as GM Vice Chair Stevens says it literally cost $70 to turn a Non FFV into a FFV  (E85 Ethanol or Gasoline)on the assembly line..

Adding M85 probably another $200-$400 per vehicle

Maybe that is where they are getting the cost prohibitive part to making all vehicles flex fuel, since they have to include methanol. Every car with stainless tanks, fuel lines, and injectors that can handle all three? Now that would be incredibly expensive.

Maybe they put it in there so they could look like they were doing something good, knowing full well it will not make it far. Throw M85 in there just to ensure it is dead before it starts.

You mean to imply that OUR ::) government would knowingly lead us on to believe that they are doing something, with the full intention of not accomplishing anything, then blaming others? :o

Say it ain't so! ???

Pretty pathetic.  So they honestly expect the auto industry and the fuel industry to virtually overnight overhaul the system for a fuel that has little manufacturing, hardly any distribution and even less demand? 

the same could have been said for ethanol a decade ago... but we have grown our industry and built our footing... I resent having the long dead albatross tied around the necks of the ethanol industry.

Maybe it has something to do with one of the cheapest ways to make M85 is with natural gas ?

Thats good yodaman...so you are suggesting M85 is actually being lobbied for by our Dear Friend Mr Pickens !  ;D