Sign in to follow this  
HuskerFlex

prices on mid level ethanol blends?

I have a question on the pricing on mid level blends... I've never actually personally seen a blender pump... so I was curious what do you folks see for prices?

What price to consumers need to see to get them to use it?  I know we always state that 15% is the minimum competitive price for e85, with 20%+ where you really see sales increase...

What would be the % spread numbers for e20, e30, e50 (which are the 3 most common blends)...

I'm still trying to get my brother to use e30 on his '99 F150... He stated that their prices were...

e0= $3.89

e10= $3.79

e30= $3.59

e85= $2.99 (this was an estimate because he didn't write it down, but thought it was just below $3.)

I tried to tell him that at e30 he should see little if any mileage drop, and that that would be $4 in his pocket, and that he'd be tripling his ethanol usage!... but he still didn't know if it was worth it...

From what I remember the last time I traveled a distance, the ethonal blend is only less when the state subsidize ethanol production. I don't remember where it was but some states charged more for ethanol blended E-10 fuels. Things may have changed in the last few years? :confused:

my brother is not the sharpest tack in the box, and he's a bit slow to branch away from "standard practices" when it comes to experimenting... (more of the "if it was that good a thing, everyone would be doing it..." line of thinking... :-[

I need to tell him to get a mileage reading on his e10, then go to e30 ASAP and check the difference... calculate the price difference in "miles/$" (which he's more then capable of)...  problem is ... like many consumers, they don't want to think... they just want to mindlessly pull up to any pump, and fill the tank...

This sort of lemming, herd mentality is leading our country right off an economic cliff of inflation and foreign dependence! :o

Fortunately this sort of mentality is NOT genetic! 8)

Just talked to him, he has the 4.2 v6, and is consistently getting 17mpg on e10... doing about 50 miles each day.

Any of you folks have experience with this 4.2 and splash blending?  Will he see much mileage difference on e30?