Sign in to follow this  
bbesler

2008 Scion Turbo on E85

Well on my second tank of E85 things started going down hill.  I started having some starting difficulties and hesitation under acceleration on the supercharged Scion tC.  I had four codes and a CEL P0171 is the code for "fuel system too lean".  At about 1/3 of a tank down, I topped it off with regular gas(E10)  which should have diluted my tank down to about E50.  Cleared the codes and everything is good now.  I think E50 is the comfortable limit for my engine ECU.

I think E50 is the comfortable limit for my engine ECU.

50% is better then nothing... just think, you'll reduce the $ you give to terrorist by probably about 25%!  :o

(just giving you a hard time...  I splash blended for 2-3 years before I converted my car...)

The 2008 Scion tC moded with the supercharger kit can handle E50.    Normally I have to use 91+ octane gas so I can use E85 cut with regular gas (E10) to splash blend my own and be oK.  My old Honda Civic 2002 could only handle E30.  I hope to see more 4 cyl direct injection E85 capable vehicles coming out.  The 2012 Ford Focus ST is such as vehicle as is the 2011 Buick Regal Turbo

I've been running my car (TRD supercharged 2008 Scion tC) successfully (meaning no check engine light, normal power) on 75% E85/ 25% regular gasoline which gives somewhere between 50% and 60% ethanol since gas is almost always 10% ethanol.  Mileage drops 15% so it comes out to be equivalent to $3.50/gal instead or $4.20 for premium since E85 is about $3.15/gal in MI.