Sign in to follow this  
bbesler

2008 Scion Turbo on E85

The TRD supercharger kit provides a nice boost, but the wastegate limits it to 7 lbs.  The supercharger could do 20 lbs.  Because it is under factory warranty till 100K miles, the turnkey kit is adjusted to the conservative end.  I have two ODB II scanners, but they are for fault code/reset only.  I would need to buy an ODB II to USB kit with software that would hook to my laptop.  I may do that depending on price.  Regarding nitrogen tire inflation, air is 78% nitrogen.  You increase it with nitrogen inflation to like 96% in the tires.  If you get it for free like at Belle Tire fine.  I wouldn't pay for it.

On E70 I do notice it takes about 2 seconds of starter cranking versus one on pure premium gas.  There is about a 1/4 second stumble in the engine right when it starts.  Then it is fine.  I let it warm about a minute before driving it.  This is in about 45 degree ambient temperature.

as for the mileage and wear factor... I think you are right... they are basing this as compared to constantly under inflated tires... which do wear quicker, and lower your mileage...

As you mentioned... if you keep an eye on your tires, and they never go low... then there should be 0% gained...  makes sense to me!

You can get a wideband O2 with a dash mounted gauge here:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/

I am planning on getting one so I can get a better tune on my converted carbs.

Nitrogen got put in tires because it didnt have water in it, that was useful in race cars where tires with water in them needed more power to overcome the inertia of the water, among other things like running cooler, so it was more consistent and predictable. Using the more is better theory if it works in a race car it has to work great on the street in your minivan. A soccer mom driving around wouldnt notice a difference.

I just filled up with the second full tank of E85 today.    The scion tC just gave me a check engine light although it still runs completely fine.  I will hookup my ODB II scanner when I get home and pull the fault code(and reset the check engine light).    I got 23 mpg as opposed to the normal 26/27 mpg I get on premium.

Scion and Toyota Echo are pretty much the same - my Echo is running fine on full tanks of E70 winter blend - when I get a P0171 "Lean Code" I just clear it on the fly with my scan tool and keep going!  The engine runs fine at, idle, at cruising, in traffic, etc.  A little hard starting, but that's all.  I suspect the ECU is handling the extra fuel flow needed for E70, but the ECU is giving me a CEL to tell me that something is wrong b/c it is supplying the extra 30% fuel flow needed with E70, as compared to regular gas - even though the car is running fine.  I suspect your Scion is doing the same thing. 

The TRD supercharger kit included an ECU flash to handle lean conditions as normal under accelerating because of the supercharger.  I'm just taking advantage of that mod for E85 use.  I will post the code I get and if I  get anymore CELs after I clear it.