Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

Delphi Heated Fuel Injectors

Forgot about these ..Production starts this year ..eliminates cold start issues on 100% ethanol below 0 c (64 degrees F)

https://delphi.com/shared/pdf/ppd/pwrtrn/multec-ht-gas-fuel-injector.pdf

The Delphi Multec® 3.5 Heated Tip (HT) Port Fuel Injector is part

of Delphi’s family of gasoline port fuel injectors. It has an

integrated heating device that enables engine cold starting with

ethanol fuel.

Because of ethanol's low Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP) and high

flash point, fuel heating becomes necessary to enable the

formation of an ignitable mixture at low temperatures. The Delphi

Multec 3.5HT Injector features an innovative concept that

increases the temperature of the ethanol fuel for cold start ignition.

An electrical current supplied to two heater terminals in the

injector connector is transferred to a resistor in the injector body.

Heat generated by the resistor is transferred to the fuel through

the injector body. The simplified design provides customers with

excellent ignition reliability and high quality.

􀀗 Benefits

􀁹 Eliminates the need for auxiliary gasoline cold-start fuel systems

on vehicle applications that use E100 fuel

􀁹 Enables E100 cold starting below 18°C without the need to add

gasoline

􀁹 No pre-crank heating time is required unlike competitive heated

rail injection systems

􀁹 Helps reduce hydrocarbon (HC) and carbon-monoxide (CO) emissions to help manufacturers meet U.S.

Environmental Protection Agency cold start testing at 20°C (EPA 75)

􀀗 Typical Applications

The Delphi Multec 3.5 Heated Tip Port Fuel Injector is designed specifically for port fuel injection engine

applications that operate on E100 ethanol fuel. The injector is also compatible with other ethanol- and

methanol-blend fuel systems, such as NAE10, E24, E85 and M21.

􀀗 Availability

The Delphi Multec 3.5 Heated Tip Port Fuel Injector is scheduled to begin production in mid 2011.

Engineering samples are available to automotive manufacturer customers. Contact Delphi for further

information.

no cold start issues with e100!  Great, so we can then end the government mandated blending of 15-30% gas in our ethanol!  MANDATES >:D

Those gasohalics whine about ethanol mandates... try to find one single pump in the country that sells e100! :o

no cold start issues with e100!  Great, so we can then end the government mandated blending of 15-30% gas in our ethanol!  MANDATES >:D

Those gasohalics whine about ethanol mandates... try to find one single pump in the country that sells e100! :o

Easy to offer E98 if you have blender pumps-- and the carb'ed race crowd would love to have E98. Then they can blend it to their own specs matching their carb tune and compression levels. E85 is a pain for them due to the requirement for E85 to be E70, E78, or E85 seasonally. Of course E100 hydrous would also be a possibilty then too-- but not for blending to make an E10 (mid-blends would likely be ok)

cold start problem on E100 can be solved by "brazilian way": by installation of small tank with gasoline (less than 1 liter) and electric valve. gasoline will be used only while cranking, for every cold start only 30-50 ml needed. and this can work with any temperatures. in Braziltere are many cars with factory-preinstalled 2-tank system.

honda-new-civic-flex-3.jpg

courier3.jpg

chevrolet-classic-2009-06.jpg

flexpower-motor-2.jpg

width=500 height=375http://blog.estadao.com.br/blog/media/3875516.jpg[/img]

heated injectors is good solution for new cars, but as iknow, it can solve cold start problems while temperature is not lower than 0...-5C.

30-50 ml needed.

well.... I guess I could live with the guilt associated in buying THAT much gas for each start.  Sort of a "blood guilt" sort of thing.  It really bothers me that I HAVE TO by federal law use 15-30% of that dirty old "dino-fuel" that is largely imported, often from countries that are actively hostile towards us, driving up inflation beyond what the government is directly driving up...

Does anyone know if it would be legal for a blender pump to dispense e98 at the pump if so labeled? :confused:  Or would existing legislation and regulations need to be re-written? ::)

it would also be more expensive- as the "blender's credit" would not apply, since you aren't blending it.  You would end up paying a higher price. 

what if you "blended" it with 3% gas... and sold it as "e95" ;) 

As for the market... I'd think that there are more then a few of "us" out there that are avid ethanol supporters and abhorred to the thought of using ANY petroleum products.  Racing fans, and  "well informed eco-types" (not their ill informed lemming counterparts ::))

Anyways, the "blender credit" will not be around for long IMHO, so we need to be looking towards this future.

well.... I guess I could live with the guilt associated in buying THAT much gas for each start.

not every start, but every cold start.

if engine is warm, it can start without gasoline injection even if it is very cold outside.

Blenders can add Diethyl ether instead gasoline, cold start properties of 5% of Diethyl ether is better, than 15% of gasoline.

Diethyl ether making from ethanol :-) and process is pretty easy.

I've wondered the same thing James...  I'd think that it would boost the BTU content, but it is not that much...

Do you suppose that they have done much research on a "boutique blend" of various fuels to make up for other fuel's weakness?  Could be a market out there for bottled "fuel additives" to supplement ethanol... ::)