Sign in to follow this  
GT-Labs

Ethanol ECU-Related Master Thread

Megasquirt is another sweet option that I have used on alot of cars.It is a really cheap and very configurable standalone ecu(I paid $143 for mine and had to solder it togher myself).

Chuck, Do you think the Megasquirt would be compatible with a "92" Toyota 4x4 with 22RE 4 cyl. and a "95" Ford Aspire. I am running up to 50% ethanol unmodified. That Aspire would be quite the E85 vehicle.

Hey GT-Labs.  Who are you ?  You are spot on.  That is a very good post.  EGT, Wideband, and datalogging.  Without these three things, tuning cannot happen.  I always find it real interesting to see professional tuners out there selling their tunes for hundreds without having a single datalog to look at.  In the past I spent a lot of time on the F150 sites.  One tuner consistently talks about 1 out of 5 of the 2004 and up F150s running lean from the factory.  I would imagine the government would love to have his data.  Lean means higher emissions.  Higher emissions means the OBDII should be throwing codes and is not working to factory specifications.  Our state pulls the OBDII data to determine if standards are being met.

My approach is the Pro Racer software and an XCAL2 from SCT, along with the EGT, LM-1, and datalogging at least once each month - normal driving.  I try to hit a WOT pull at least once each quarter.   More so now, the weather is warming up (well it was until April decided to turn into December).   My last dyno run in Aug produced 265 RWHP and 330 RWTQ.  This is with 35" tires and a 6" lift.  It'll do better next time later this spring or early summer.  I want to hit 125K on the odometer before doing another pull.  Next spring, I will be adding a Whipple SC.  My research is ongoing as fuel delivery presents the biggest challenge. 

I look forward to an ongoing exchange.  A lot has changed on this forum since I was last involved.  Really good stuff.

Schaid

Thanks T. I'm in the process of ripping apart my RS for drag duty and will be including many of these tools with the buildup. I honestly took a gamble when I first tried E85 in the car. I knew how to richen the mixture with fuel pressure, larger injectors, fuel pumps, etc... and just decided to go for it. Hotrod shared some data with me about a very similar chassis and I felt obliged to share mine, too. I still owe him that. I made enough power to blow the tranny with factory parts and no turbo and haven't really complained about it  :D.

I've been obsessing about EFI for a while and if anything has proven consistent it's that there is more than one way to do the job right. You can do a reflash on the stock computer, change to larger injectors, add secondary injectors, build your own maps, tune a piggyback ecu or standalone...I mean the list just keeps growing! No single person or company has the ultimate answer for everybody. There's plenty of room for everybody, too. I almost feel as though I've been too complacent and simplistic with it. I need a 750hp+ whoopin' stick...

Fred from Rogue Performance, I've been data-logging and tuning Fords for some time.  I do mostly street tuning based on vehicle sensor readings, LOTS of math (math IS your friend), spreadsheets and solid data.  I'm big on synthetic fluids, biodegradable  and "safe" fuels.  Not a fan of "big oil" or politics.  I see far too many feet dragging, especially here in the Pacific North West.  I have to drive 230 miles (one way) to get E85, so it's done as part of other trips (business and recreational).  I've REALLY liked what I've seen here and with Ethanol as well. 

-Part:  None.  That's my goal.  I want to use 100% factory parts and just an SCT Flash Tuner to reflash the PCM.

-Description:  That's it in a nut shell!

-Manufacturer:  SCT and Me.

-Details:  I'll psot them as we go...

"Other kinds of piggyback computers only highjack or augment certain parts of the stock computer. Chiefly, you can buy separate fuel and timing controllers to fit your needs. An add-on fuel system can still do many things for an ethanol powered car. You can run a separated secondary fuel system to carry ethanol or some other fuel. You can also supply extra flow capacity for the existing fuel system on demand. The secondary injectors can be triggered at specific RPM's, loads, or boost levels to accomodate fuelling needs of boost, nitrous, or both. Often, secondary fuel systems only intercept signals and don't modify the output. They only need the existing computer signals for referencing their own instructions. They don't change the factory systems. They're more of a genuine add-on instead of a half-baked replacement for something stock that likely works fine anyway. Timing controllers can be a cheap and easy way to dial in a bit more or less spark timing and leave the stock computer mostly alone"

Dear Gran Touring Labs, I know this post is digging up old ground that may have been covered somewhere else in the posts, but could you elaborate on what manufactures of "ECU" would accomplish what your were speaking of in the above quote? I am working with a '93 Grand Cherokee. Thank you in advance.

-Pete ::)

I was referring to add-on controllers for fuel and timing. They fight the same adjustment battle that piggybacks do, but can still be effective. It's an option if you just need one parameter or the other tweaked, but they still have their downfalls.