Sign in to follow this  
HuskerFlex

"Ethanol or regular unleaded?" story from Omaha World Herald

I remember gas in the low 30's when I was a teenager. My dad was a bulk oil dealer in a small ND town and had a lot of farmer customers, who only paid when they could so my dad had to constantly go to the bank to cover it. With rationing, his fuel allowance was based on sales from a previous year so he was constantly running out and had to buy fuel from Canada or anyone else who had it for sale. I know he called his congressmen many times to ask for help and even called Mobil and told them to come over and pick up their damn sign, hoping it would help. It wasn't a fun time for him.

That was a very common problem for non-cooperatives back then- I bought a fuel route from one of those old boys like your dad- he told me had it even worse- he was unbranded so he rarely got fuel and his home heat and farm customers got nothing and would have to beg coops or branded guys to get deliveries and if they could get allocation- he lost them for good.

What TD and Outlaw post, the part of scarcity, should be of national concern. We are often told to have emergency preparedness to be self sufficient for an extended time with emergency kit/supplies. This is to prepare for the eventual event of flooding, power outage, natural disaster, economic disaster, industrial accident, or terrorism. Low cost supplies should be very useful in the event. Strategic Petroleum Reserve’s of oil put in place for such emergency. Unfortunately, the reserves for military and government use in true emergency. Those in charge have little time for non-government operations. Most career politicians only aware and entrusting of such paths. Private sector a bunch of whiners. They would not trust private citizens to make good choices, because somewhere some place a citizen has wasted or cheated. Thus strict control from top down in an emergency. Better for those with most power to make the rules as only one such can be faultless and quickly change mind. We would all set on our hands and whimper.

So, in true emergency ethanol production very attractive and in my mind the most capable emergency kit/equipment one could invent. One that doesn't require central control blessing and one that continues to produce upon local or regional locality. A diverse population of these plants, sprinkled about the territories would definitely improve our self reliance. Also, these ethanol plants are picking up ability to generate power. They should have ability to energize grid upon some limited emergency plan.

The business of farming and ethanol have warehouse storage of nation’s most valuable commodity in true emergency. This natural condition required no magic of intellectual supervision and control. Not a bad deal to have the feed and food outputs as well.

Might be good to draw up plans and have emergency capability for near by irrigation wells to pressurize municipal water lines? That would be a flex fuel E100 powered well pump. It’s o.k. to utilize private sector. In true emergency we wouldn't care.

We have forgotten how even a small disruption in fossil supply will influence allocation of resources. If there was a disruption in spring who gets the diesel fuel? Hmm- no crop planted- no food. Not enough for trucking and rail- again- food shortages. Not enough for ambulances? Not enough gasoline for police? When one thinks it thru you realize quickly why the common man will be the first to not get fuel to go to work AND play. This brings a lot of discord, misunderstanding /agreement on priorities of metering such resources as govt would surely be taxed to do. You do not even get a good sense of this if serving in a large hurricane devastated area because at first no one is working except for emergency and critical govt functions.

Well we are now well off topic ;D