Sign in to follow this  
GT-Labs

Motion for a Tuner shop forum + other improvements!

There's bound to be a company or two in Cali or AZ that has run methanol or ethanol in one. Just a thought. BTW, shouldn't it be running leaner at 11k ft, but it would be too rich without carb adjustments? I would think the problem is the range of fuelling, not the capacity.

We need sections for

-planes

-boats

-motorcycles, ATVs, quads

There is already work being done on aircraft, they are trying to develop and aircraft rated version of E85 called AGE85.

The problem with aircraft is that unless it is an experimental aircraft use of a non-certified fuel could be a problem if the plane falls out of the sky for any reason. Everyone would point at the fuel regardless of the true cause. The AGE85 looks promising and will allow the elimination of leaded aircraft fuels if it works out. Experiments show a 600 hp aircraft engine on gasoline will develop about 650 hp on AGE85.

We need sections for

-planes

-boats

We need sections for

-planes

-boats

http://www.age85.org/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/07/990720083151.htm

http://ethanolproducer.com/article.jsp?article_id=1859

Larry

Honda Ghandi:

Nice to see you over here too!

I am about to get my full conversion WRX on the road, and will be getting some dyno tunes done on it soon by Harvey.

I'll try to drop by your shop and chat with you about how you plan on doing your tests on the Honda's and see if I can work out a very similar test series for the WRX so we have data on two different platforms using similar testing protocols.

I'm thinking of getting a plain jane gasoline tune and then without making any changes in ignition timing, switch to E85 and see what fueling gives similar performance.  Then tweak the timing and see if the E85 likes significantly different timing. That would give data to build a table of % change in fueling at various loads and conditions to help people with starting points on their tunes from a good working gasoline tune.

Any thoughts on that concept?

Larry

I have a Cessna 180 that could legally use AGE-85 if I put the STC'd engine in. Texas Skyways has the paperwork to do this install on 180's and 182's but at this time that's about it for certified aircraft. I want to do this in the worst way but it is pricey. AGE85 is a little different than auto E85 in that it is 88% ethanol,11% pentane, and 1%biodiesel.

Marty

I have a Cessna 180 that could legally use AGE-85 if I put the STC'd engine in. Texas Skyways has the paperwork to do this install on 180's and 182's but at this time that's about it for certified aircraft. I want to do this in the worst way but it is pricey. AGE85 is a little different than auto E85 in that it is 88% ethanol,11% pentane, and 1%biodiesel.

Marty

I'm 85% jealous that you get to fly and I cant , 11% envious and 1% determined that I'll also purchase my own plane  ;D

I'd love to be able to fly just to get above the traffic

cessna,

Have you heard if anyone will be offering AGE85 anytime soon?? 

While at a Alt Fuel forum at Oshkosh this summer , there was ALOT of interest in AGE85, but very

few answers from  gov't or industry officials present..   

Hi Greengenes, I went up and talked to Jim Behnken at Madison, SD last winter where they're doing the airplane testing. He said if I got the STC'd engine I could get fuel up there by bringing a fuel truck. Actually the way I think I'd do it though is to go down to the ethanol plant I'm in located 14 miles away and get the straight 200 proof denatured and get some 55 gal. drums of pentane( that's the way they get it in SD) and I can use biodiesel I make myself or there are a couple of plants about 60 miles from me and blend my own AGE-85. The Vanguard flying team up at Sioux Falls just uses 200denatured and add a little unleaded auto fuel for their RV's. The only reason the pentane is needed is for starting purposes as it is a high vapor pressure hydrocarbon( evaporates easily) and the biodiesel coats things in the fuel system to prevent corrosion. Don't know if you know but that Mooney at Oshkosh came with 8.7/1 compression pistons and they put some 10/1 helicopter pistons in and they got 10% more power on the same fuel flow using the AGE85.

Marty