Sign in to follow this  
Jonny Energy

We can all be teachers....

As we know, pricing and cost a tightly kept secret in business competition, but the basics throughout business the same. Ethanol I would think is difficult. Does the station treat the fuel, like kerosene as a convince item, like carrying fuel cans for customer needs/wants or per government regulated flex fuel requirement. If the fuel must be transported long distance per tanker truck, maybe so.

Maybe the station prices low to attract more business? Or just wants a simple formula based on gasoline. May they treat the fuel as developing, but current status not a money maker for them. Meaning they think a need to keep up to competition offerings, yet will not spend to much on a loss leader.

It is ironic that food and ethanol costs float per oil costs. Oil cost is a factor for ethanol production. Farm tractors and semis don't yet burn ethanol. Also, because all energy is fungible...when coal plants shut down, oil discovery announced, tanker ship wreck, natural gas discovery, etc. the event will effect ethanol cost. Economies all are international now making for complex pricing. Commodity prices in a state of continuous flux. More so today with supplies close to need, unstable economies, and society unrest.

Interesting article on pricing.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20110308/BUSINESS/103080337/Station-o

I hope you did not forget mention about more consumtion!? Did you?

My personal experience when converting is 20-30% (average 25%) more consumption. So at price levels 3 USD/gallon for E85 and 4 USD/gallon for reguar gasoline not much monay will be saved.

Conversion kit with lambda signal(s) emulation could significantly lower more consumption if lean mixture at low rpm and engine load is used. In this case more consumption is in the 10% range.

My personal experience when converting is 20-30% (average 25%) more consumption.

That is not my experience.  With my conversion I'm looking more at the 10-15% range in increased fuel consumption.  Here in Nebraska, we have more like a 18-25% price spread with e10, higher spread when compared with e0 (which few at all buy as it is 10-15 cents more expensive) 8)

I saw more like the 25% drop in mileage when I first converted, but as I've mentioned, this was when I was still "enjoying the extra HP" ;D and was more then a bit accelerator happy.  After learning how to control my right foot better, and reverting to the more sedate normal driving that I was used to doing before... I have now been consistently getting in the 10-15% range.

Quite a few on here have been seeing the same thing.

The only people reporting 20-30% drop in efficiency is the EPA, and as we all know, they don't actually TEST mileage (at least not with a car, on a road, using fuel...)  they simply use a mathematical calculation using the BTUs...  ???

This is simply a "rough mathematical estimate based on limited or incomplete information"

All things are not equal, in my opinion, 555 mileage in the range. You can improve mileage many low cost ways of which the sum total often surpasses the ethanol penalty. Also, long record keeping required and one still needs to distill the data i.e. fuel filter, season, tire pressure, age of car, driving habits, drivers, and accuracy.

Funny story my brother found long ago, wondered upon discovery of a difference in driving to northern Wisconsin from Milwaukee. After years of noting wind direction and the rest....found it to be the gradual change in elevation. Guess his Falcon 6 cylinder carb had such personality. At that time he recently bought a after market product for freeway driving. You pulled a knob, much like an old choke, to set the speed. Of course pushing it in when not needed. Worked good and cost little. Don't remember any panic attacks media hyperbole demands for central control. No news of horrid accidents quickly blaming the device.   

Car engines have a huge discrepancy upon efficient use of ethanol and not always the ones that one would think obvious. This fuel has a long way to go upon automotive technology to be optimized for mpg concerns. Most of it the chicken and egg syndrome. 

Now that gas prices are getting media attention the perfect storm has arrived.  Listen to talk radio and its a big topic.  We can all use our voice to educate about E85.  It is always said that say something 10 times to someone and it sticks.  Well here is our chance.  I took advantage today on WGN in Chicago to talk about Flex Fuel and using E85.  While I didn't mention my company I was able to talk for about 7 Minutes on E85 and Flex Fuel.  I told him I upgraded the last time prices shot up and am now taking full advantage of using E85.  Considering Chicago prices are $4.00 and 15 Mins away E85 is under $3.00 the host mentioned how this becomes a money saving fuel.  Let's face it.  The only way Alternatives like E85 implants itself on someones mind is when it saves money.  Remember, money talks, especially in our current economic condition.

I'm runnin Pure American Adrenaline and Saving money too.......  Are you?

Johnny thanks I hope my dad was listening to it,  he gripes me out but is 82 today and tells me  I will blow my car up using that crap.    The more they hear us they might think there is something to it,  if you know my dad an A bomb wont move him he is very hard headed German and believe me he is always right except this time.

Perhaps you should educate him on how Germany had a network of ethanol producers prior to the war, and how in the US during both wars they said using alcohol was too German to be used here. Alcohol used to be a big part of life in the old country, both for fuel and consumption. If that dont work bring him up here on a vacation and a somewhat younger 'German' can show him first hand.. :) I wish I had my great grand dads still from before prohibition.

My fellow German  oh my dad has told me for years how the Germans ran it in WWII  how they kept things going so he knows,  what he forgets is that they did it but thinks todays vehicles some how cant run it.  He is old and once he hears the propaganda  on ethanol blah blah blah he takes it hook,  line and sinker but his main reason is he hates the government and when I say hate it I mean he hates it.    Its because ethanol  gets govenment money and for that alone he loathes it.    I told him dad its just 5 miles from your home I loaded up on it the whole way and it runs great.

I hope you did not forget mention about more consumtion!? Did you?

My personal experience when converting is 20-30% (average 25%) more consumption. So at price levels 3 USD/gallon for E85 and 4 USD/gallon for reguar gasoline not much monay will be saved.

Conversion kit with lambda signal(s) emulation could significantly lower more consumption if lean mixture at low rpm and engine load is used. In this case more consumption is in the 10% range.

Make sure you tell my vehicles that.  Hey Mr Ford and Mr Chevy... You should be losing 25%, how dare you only lose 12%.

Im not fond of the government either, I used to work for them now I am beholden to them just to survive. Oil gets a huge amount of subsidies too, much more than all of green energy does. It works great in cars, no matter what age as long as they dont have leather fuel pumps, or old pumps that were built before 1985.

Im not fond of the government either, I used to work for them now I am beholden to them just to survive. Oil gets a huge amount of subsidies too, much more than all of green energy does. It works great in cars, no matter what age as long as they dont have leather fuel pumps, or old pumps that were built before 1985.

You and me both and yes the oil industry gets a ton of subsidies yet my dad doesnt see it.